Eco Vegans & Earth Citizens- new elist at yahoo groups

  • quercusrobur2002
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 9, 2002
      A space for discussion, debate and chat mainly intended for those who
      are vegan primarily or incidentally for environmental reasons(as well
      as for spiritual, health or ethical reasons of course), or for those
      interested in complementary ideas such as sustainability,
      permaculture, biodynamics, community growing, forest gardening,
      organic growing, vegan organics, eco-protest, Agenda 21, LETS, etc,
      etc, who'd be interested in having an input. Non vegans are of course
      welcome here provided it's in the spirit of mutual tolerance &
      respect, genuine dialogue and constructive debate/discussion. Zealots
      & fundamentalists of any persuasion are strongly discouraged, please
      chain up your dogmas at the post provided outside before entering :-)

      To subscribe go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eco_vegans/

      Post message: eco_vegans@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: eco_vegans-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    • Vishal Maheshwari
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
        Hi all,
        I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
        We are a family with agricultural background.
        Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
        crops and had been doing well with them.
        But now, i would like to look at so many other options
        that are available.
        But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
        research on the net..but there is plethora of
        information and nothing seems relevant enough to help
        me.

        I m looking for a non traditional crops.
        it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
        financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
        digits. we have land and a lot is available on lease.
        It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
        with irrigation available.

        Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.

        Regards,
        Vishal

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • David Adams
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
          Grow tropical and subtropical fruit and ship it to
          North America!

          I have hoped in vain for years that NAFTA would make
          red sapote, white sapote, black sapote, papaya, and
          many other fruits as commonplace in US grocery stores
          as the banana. Mango has been a success story here.
          So has the fuzzy kiwi from NZ. I can find white
          sapote once in a rare while. I wish Mexican farmers
          would focus more on shipping subtropicals up north.
          Anyone know why this has not happened? They are
          shipping mangos.

          --- Vishal Maheshwari <vishal250@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
          > We are a family with agricultural background.
          > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
          > crops and had been doing well with them.
          > But now, i would like to look at so many other
          > options
          > that are available.
          > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
          > research on the net..but there is plethora of
          > information and nothing seems relevant enough to
          > help
          > me.
          >
          > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
          > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
          > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
          > digits. we have land and a lot is available on
          > lease.
          > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
          > with irrigation available.
          >
          > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Vishal

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2002
            Dear Vishal,
            > I am Vishal, 25 years and from india.
            > We are a family with agricultural background.
            > Till now, my father had been taking up traditional
            > crops and had been doing well with them.
            > But now, i would like to look at so many other options
            > that are available.
            > But i m short of ideas..i have been doing some
            > research on the net..but there is plethora of
            > information and nothing seems relevant enough to help
            > me.
            >
            > I m looking for a non traditional crops.
            > it may be Medicinal,Herbs,For cosmetics etc.
            > financially, i cud support a project worth upto 7
            > digits. we have land and a lot is available on lease.
            > It s also in one of th most fertile parts of india
            > with irrigation available.
            >
            > Plz suggest and recommend what i should do.

            We had an interesting message the other day from the Caribbean
            office of the Foreign Office of the british
            gov. A chap there is organizing a conference called
            "Organic diversification" aiming to link producers in the
            West Indies with niche markets in the organic sector in the UK.
            The person organizing it was called Nigel Dickinson
            and can be reached on +44 207 270 2608/2472

            there is certainly a growing market for unusual plant out there
            its just a matter of finding it.

            Good luck

            Rich

            --
            Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
            Snail: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 19, 2002
              I have been asked by an archaeologist what might have been grown on a fairly
              large scale, in a large pit or trench that could be regularly flooded.
              Any ideas please?
              Thanks for your help

              Ces Beamish
              Leicester
            • orftuk
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 22, 2002
                Hi Ces

                The first thing that comes to mind is traditional Celery - a.k.a.
                Trench Celery - which requires plenty of water and is usually grown
                in trenches for this purpose, and so that the stems may be blanched
                by filling in the trench.

                The problem is that this vegetable was introduced to the UK about 300
                [?] years ago - how old is the trench/pit?

                It could be used as standard technique for growing any water
                demanding plant that needed occassional flooding, e.g. Watercress.
                Many native wetland plants have useful yields - Reedmace -[Typha] is
                very multi-functional, so is Common Reed - [Phragmites].

                More information on the age of the pit, its actual size, soil type,
                location etc might make it easier to whittle it down to the most
                likely species.

                Cheers Phil.