Re: [pfaf] Potatoes

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2005
      And is
      Red Norland also red inside, does it have red flesh ??
      Geir Flatabø

      Mitch Triplett skrev:

      >Red Norland is the variety we received from our local farm. Good luck.

    • LMcCay
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 27, 2005
        http://www.highmowingseeds.com/catalog/potatoes.html Cranberry Red
        (All Red)
        All-Red Potato [United States]

        Botanical name: Solanum tuberosum

        Family: Solanaceae

        Many heirloom potatoes were created by regular folks in backyard
        gardens, and their homey appeal never seems to wane. I can think of
        Purple Cow Horn, a wonderful baking potato which came out of a New
        Hampshire garden about 1905, and such perennially popular
        multicolored varieties as Candy Stripe, a sport or mutant that David
        Ronninger of Moyie Springs, Idaho, discovered in a patch of Red
        LaSodas in 1983. My all-time favorite, however, is All-Red, also
        known as Cranberry Red.

        This is a really big midseason potato, with tall robust plants about
        eighteen to twenty-two inches high, big dark green leaves resembling
        those of the famous Brandywine tomato, and what must be one of the
        largest and handsomest lilac purple flowers found on any potato. It
        is tempting to grow it just for the flowers, except that the plant
        needs lots of space, and the best part comes when it dies.
        Underneath the ground is a veritable cache of huge red tubers, some
        weighing more than half a pound. What makes All-Red so special is
        its color, inside and out.

        The genes that control color in potatoes also have an unhappy side
        effect: dark skins or dark flesh are sometimes so bitter from traces
        of glycoalkaloids that the potato is truly unpleasant to eat. This
        is especially true of wild potatoes, which use these toxins as
        protection against wild animals that might eat them. Developing a
        bitterless red potato, one that is red-fleshed, has been one of
        those much discussed goals of potato enthusiasts for quite a while.
        Granted, for a long time Americans only wanted white potatoes, but
        interest in exotic vegetables and potatoes of many colors has put
        the discussion of an all-red sort out in front.

        It took a lot of careful selecting to find a potato that would hold
        its red color when cooked and not taste bitter. All-Red passed the
        test and borrowed its name from All-Blue, a somewhat smaller blue-
        fleshed potato that is commonly seen in upscale markets. All-Blue
        was developed as a "marker" potato, which growers planted in potato
        fields to show where one variety stopped and the other began so that
        they would not become mixed during digging. All-Red is of a somewhat
        more noble origin.

        All-Red was developed by Robert Lobitz, an avid breeder of plants in
        Paynesville, Minnesota. In the course of our correspondence, Lobitz
        explained that his All-Red was a seedling of a popular breeding
        potato called Bison and that he was the person who gave his creation
        its original name. After he released it to the public through Seed
        Savers Exchange in about 1984, the potato was picked up by several
        seed companies and sold under the name Cranberry Red. Cranberry Red
        and All-Red are indeed the same potato, although Cranberry Red as a
        name may have slightly more marketing appeal. The new label might
        seem entirely appropriate since the skin of the potato is a rich
        cranberry and, like the French potato Roseval, rather startling in
        intensity when it first comes out of the ground. Raw, the flesh of
        All-Red is a powder pink. When steamed, it deepens to a pale beet
        rose, which looks terrific in potato salads. The flavor is rich,
        like English walnuts, and fulsome, even a bit earthy. Walnut oil in
        the salad dressing is a perfect match and a good way to enhance the
        flavor.

        Another nice way to cook All-Red is to cut up the potatoes into thin
        slices. Saut, some chopped onions with olive oil or butter in a
        large skillet or saut, pan and when they are soft, add the potatoes.
        When the potatoes begin to brown, add some chicken stock or well-
        flavored vegetable stock, white wine, chopped green onions, and
        minced rosemary. Cover and cook for about ten minutes or until the
        potatoes are tender, then add salt and pepper and serve with grated
        cheese sprinkled over the top. Your guests will salute you!

        All-Red itself is a culinary salute to the determination of growers
        like Robert Lobitz who create wonderful new things for the common
        good without remuneration. In a world where all things seem measured
        in terms of money, All-Red remains a testimony to a higher opposing
        value. What Robert Lobitz did not know when he sent his creation out
        into the world is that his potato is also one of the most drought-
        resistant varieties around. It has been known to yield an
        embarrassment of riches even when it does not rain for two months.
        Farmers who lost everything in hybrid soybeans might want to look
        more carefully into potatoes like All-Red, and home gardeners who
        appreciate excellent food will not want to be without it. I still
        wish Robert had called it something more poetic like Minnehaha or
        Chippewa Rose. No matter, it's the taste that counts.

        Use of this excerpt from 100 VEGETABLES AND WHERE THEY CAME FROM may
        be made only for purposes of promoting the book, with no changes,
        editing, or additions whatsoever, and must be accompanied by the
        following copyright notice: Copyright c 2000 by William Woys Weaver.
        All rights reserved.

        http://mvproduce.com/seedavailable.html French Fingerling

        French fingerlings are specialty fingerling type potatoes with long
        finger sized tubers with red skin and red flesh with a waxy taste
        very unique. These needs lots of time and let die on their own and
        fully mature or the flesh will be yellow instead of red.
        Click here: Fingerling Potatoes
        http://doityourself.com/vegetables/fingerlingpotatoes.htm

        Others you can look up are:

        'Red Thumb'
        oca
        huckleberry (red skin and flesh)
        and the blossom

        And if you have more questions, contact
        http://www.rewritchieseedpotatoes.com/ who carry a wide range of
        varieties
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 15, 2014
          In a potato conference   David Shaw  form Sarvari Research trust  has been telling about new blight resistant cultivars being introduced and grown in England (Wales)...
          Anyone here having experience with Sarpo Una, ; Sarpo Gwyn,  Sarpo Shona, Kiffli and Blue Danube ?

          Geir Flatabø
        • Elaine Sommers
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 15, 2014
            Hi Geir, I don't know if you use facebook but there is an excellent group on there called 'The Kenosha Potato Project'. These are people who breed potatoes from TPS (true potato seed) and they are very knowledgeable about everything potato! They breed rare and new potatoes. I can highly recommend them.
            Elaine.