Potatoes

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 22, 2005
      My son is looking for a potato named "Himalayan Red",
      it is shown in a magazine "Garden answers 1995" and said it is in the
      HDRA collection only.

      We are not able to find it from a google search.

      Does anyone have this potato or another red fleshed potato, available ,
      or know where to get one ???

      He already have different varieties including "Congo" that is blue fleshed..

      thanks for your interest.

      Geir Flatabø
      Norway.
    • Diana Santry
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2005
        I haven't found the particular variety Himalayan Red.
        Interested to see if others are able to find this.

        The only red fleshed variety I've seen is "All Red".
        You can find them through www.irish-eyes.com. I've
        found this company to be a good source of some of the
        colorful and unusual potatoes.

        Congo sounds interesting-I've only seen the 'All Blue'
        variety in that color- they return yearly in my
        garden, no matter how I feel about them ;)

        Good luck, hope to hear of your search results.
        Diana

        --- Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

        > My son is looking for a potato named "Himalayan
        > Red",
        > it is shown in a magazine "Garden answers 1995" and
        > said it is in the
        > HDRA collection only.
        >
        > We are not able to find it from a google search.
        >
        > Does anyone have this potato or another red fleshed
        > potato, available ,
        > or know where to get one ???
        >
        > He already have different varieties including
        > "Congo" that is blue fleshed..
        >
        > thanks for your interest.
        >
        > Geir Flatabø
        > Norway.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephe
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2005
          Probably the best place to source unusual vegetables is the Seed Savers
          Exchange (SSE) in the US. The last catalogue (Seed savers 2005 yearbook)
          which came out in winter 2004-2005 lists some 12,000 unique vegetables,
          including about 400-500 potatoes. I looked through the catalogues for
          the last 3 years and Himalayan Red was actually listed in 2004!!It is a
          variety grown in the SSE's own potato collection - not all varieties in
          the collection are offered in the yearbook to members of SSE every year.
          We will have to wait until the new catalogue arrives in the New Year to
          see if it is listed this year. Otherwise, your son could borrow the
          catalogues and have a look at the various blue/pink/red fleshed
          varieties which have been offered - they are not listed separately, so
          it's a bit of a job to read through all the descriptions. However, I did
          find various blue fleshed and a pink fleshed variety in the list.

          I also have Congo and also tried a variety called Andean Blue a few
          years ago, but yield was poor (from Eilif Aas, Vegårshei - he has a good
          collection which he sells through the Norwegian Self-sufficiency
          magazine Sjoelbergaren) in April ( I believe he will be in Peru this
          winter).

          You could also ask Alan Romans who I think has the largest collection in
          the UK - he has a web site I think.

          Hope this helps.

          Best regards

          Stephen

          P.S: Just had an afterthought and had a look in William Woys Weaver's
          excellent book "100 Vegetables and where they came from". He lists a
          Potato called "All Red" and as its name implies, it is red inside and
          outside. It also is high yielding. Weaver tells that All-Red was
          developed in the US and was released to the public through SSE in 1984.
          It was then picked up by various commercial companies who sold it under
          the name Cranberry Red. And yes, I checked in SSE and there were 4
          people offering All Red in the 2005 Yearbook, including Eilif Aas in
          Norway!!

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2005
            Thank you a lot,
            sending tubers was not allowed internetionally, but indeed the variety
            would be of interest , even if not as red as Himalaian Red according to
            the description.

            Geir Flatabø

            Diana Santry skrev:

            >I haven't found the particular variety Himalayan Red.
            >Interested to see if others are able to find this.
            >
            >The only red fleshed variety I've seen is "All Red".
            >You can find them through www.irish-eyes.com. I've
            >found this company to be a good source of some of the
            >colorful and unusual potatoes.
            >
            >Congo sounds interesting-I've only seen the 'All Blue'
            >variety in that color- they return yearly in my
            >garden, no matter how I feel about them ;)
            >

            >Good luck, hope to hear of your search results.
            >Diana
            >

            >--- Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:
            >

            >>My son is looking for a potato named "Himalayan
            >>Red",
            >>it is shown in a magazine "Garden answers 1995" and
            >>said it is in the
            >>HDRA collection only.
            >>
            >>We are not able to find it from a google search.
            >>
            >>Does anyone have this potato or another red fleshed
            >>potato, available ,
            >>or know where to get one ???
            >>
            >>He already have different varieties including
            >>"Congo" that is blue fleshed..
            >>
            >>thanks for your interest.
            >>
            >>Geir Flatabø
            >>Norway.

          • Mitch Triplett
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2005
              Red Norland is the variety we received from our local farm. Good luck.

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 26, 2005
                And is
                Red Norland also red inside, does it have red flesh ??
                Geir Flatabø

                Mitch Triplett skrev:

                >Red Norland is the variety we received from our local farm. Good luck.

              • LMcCay
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 27, 2005
                  http://www.highmowingseeds.com/catalog/potatoes.html Cranberry Red
                  (All Red)
                  All-Red Potato [United States]

                  Botanical name: Solanum tuberosum

                  Family: Solanaceae

                  Many heirloom potatoes were created by regular folks in backyard
                  gardens, and their homey appeal never seems to wane. I can think of
                  Purple Cow Horn, a wonderful baking potato which came out of a New
                  Hampshire garden about 1905, and such perennially popular
                  multicolored varieties as Candy Stripe, a sport or mutant that David
                  Ronninger of Moyie Springs, Idaho, discovered in a patch of Red
                  LaSodas in 1983. My all-time favorite, however, is All-Red, also
                  known as Cranberry Red.

                  This is a really big midseason potato, with tall robust plants about
                  eighteen to twenty-two inches high, big dark green leaves resembling
                  those of the famous Brandywine tomato, and what must be one of the
                  largest and handsomest lilac purple flowers found on any potato. It
                  is tempting to grow it just for the flowers, except that the plant
                  needs lots of space, and the best part comes when it dies.
                  Underneath the ground is a veritable cache of huge red tubers, some
                  weighing more than half a pound. What makes All-Red so special is
                  its color, inside and out.

                  The genes that control color in potatoes also have an unhappy side
                  effect: dark skins or dark flesh are sometimes so bitter from traces
                  of glycoalkaloids that the potato is truly unpleasant to eat. This
                  is especially true of wild potatoes, which use these toxins as
                  protection against wild animals that might eat them. Developing a
                  bitterless red potato, one that is red-fleshed, has been one of
                  those much discussed goals of potato enthusiasts for quite a while.
                  Granted, for a long time Americans only wanted white potatoes, but
                  interest in exotic vegetables and potatoes of many colors has put
                  the discussion of an all-red sort out in front.

                  It took a lot of careful selecting to find a potato that would hold
                  its red color when cooked and not taste bitter. All-Red passed the
                  test and borrowed its name from All-Blue, a somewhat smaller blue-
                  fleshed potato that is commonly seen in upscale markets. All-Blue
                  was developed as a "marker" potato, which growers planted in potato
                  fields to show where one variety stopped and the other began so that
                  they would not become mixed during digging. All-Red is of a somewhat
                  more noble origin.

                  All-Red was developed by Robert Lobitz, an avid breeder of plants in
                  Paynesville, Minnesota. In the course of our correspondence, Lobitz
                  explained that his All-Red was a seedling of a popular breeding
                  potato called Bison and that he was the person who gave his creation
                  its original name. After he released it to the public through Seed
                  Savers Exchange in about 1984, the potato was picked up by several
                  seed companies and sold under the name Cranberry Red. Cranberry Red
                  and All-Red are indeed the same potato, although Cranberry Red as a
                  name may have slightly more marketing appeal. The new label might
                  seem entirely appropriate since the skin of the potato is a rich
                  cranberry and, like the French potato Roseval, rather startling in
                  intensity when it first comes out of the ground. Raw, the flesh of
                  All-Red is a powder pink. When steamed, it deepens to a pale beet
                  rose, which looks terrific in potato salads. The flavor is rich,
                  like English walnuts, and fulsome, even a bit earthy. Walnut oil in
                  the salad dressing is a perfect match and a good way to enhance the
                  flavor.

                  Another nice way to cook All-Red is to cut up the potatoes into thin
                  slices. Saut, some chopped onions with olive oil or butter in a
                  large skillet or saut, pan and when they are soft, add the potatoes.
                  When the potatoes begin to brown, add some chicken stock or well-
                  flavored vegetable stock, white wine, chopped green onions, and
                  minced rosemary. Cover and cook for about ten minutes or until the
                  potatoes are tender, then add salt and pepper and serve with grated
                  cheese sprinkled over the top. Your guests will salute you!

                  All-Red itself is a culinary salute to the determination of growers
                  like Robert Lobitz who create wonderful new things for the common
                  good without remuneration. In a world where all things seem measured
                  in terms of money, All-Red remains a testimony to a higher opposing
                  value. What Robert Lobitz did not know when he sent his creation out
                  into the world is that his potato is also one of the most drought-
                  resistant varieties around. It has been known to yield an
                  embarrassment of riches even when it does not rain for two months.
                  Farmers who lost everything in hybrid soybeans might want to look
                  more carefully into potatoes like All-Red, and home gardeners who
                  appreciate excellent food will not want to be without it. I still
                  wish Robert had called it something more poetic like Minnehaha or
                  Chippewa Rose. No matter, it's the taste that counts.

                  Use of this excerpt from 100 VEGETABLES AND WHERE THEY CAME FROM may
                  be made only for purposes of promoting the book, with no changes,
                  editing, or additions whatsoever, and must be accompanied by the
                  following copyright notice: Copyright c 2000 by William Woys Weaver.
                  All rights reserved.

                  http://mvproduce.com/seedavailable.html French Fingerling

                  French fingerlings are specialty fingerling type potatoes with long
                  finger sized tubers with red skin and red flesh with a waxy taste
                  very unique. These needs lots of time and let die on their own and
                  fully mature or the flesh will be yellow instead of red.
                  Click here: Fingerling Potatoes
                  http://doityourself.com/vegetables/fingerlingpotatoes.htm

                  Others you can look up are:

                  'Red Thumb'
                  oca
                  huckleberry (red skin and flesh)
                  and the blossom

                  And if you have more questions, contact
                  http://www.rewritchieseedpotatoes.com/ who carry a wide range of
                  varieties
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 15, 2014
                    In a potato conference   David Shaw  form Sarvari Research trust  has been telling about new blight resistant cultivars being introduced and grown in England (Wales)...
                    Anyone here having experience with Sarpo Una, ; Sarpo Gwyn,  Sarpo Shona, Kiffli and Blue Danube ?

                    Geir Flatabø
                  • Elaine Sommers
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 15, 2014
                      Hi Geir, I don't know if you use facebook but there is an excellent group on there called 'The Kenosha Potato Project'. These are people who breed potatoes from TPS (true potato seed) and they are very knowledgeable about everything potato! They breed rare and new potatoes. I can highly recommend them.
                      Elaine.