Electronic Biologia Centrali-Americana

  • Phil Slade
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      From Yahoo Picks 2/10/05

      Electronic Biologia Centrali-Americana

      http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollections/bca/explore.cfm

      Between 1879 and 1915, two editors published a series
      they called BiologĂ­a Centrali-Americana, a catalog of
      the plants and animals of Mexico and Central America.
      With over 50,000 descriptions and 18,000 images, this
      astonishing work "contained nearly everything known"
      of the region's biodiversity at the time of its
      publication. Did we mention it weighed in at 63
      volumes? Only eight libraries hold the entire set,
      and, some time ago, it slipped out of print. However,
      The Smithsonian and London's Natural History Museum
      (among others) have been hard at work to rectify that
      sad state of affairs. Over the past years, they've
      uploaded much of the series' biological volumes to the
      Web. Because of their labors, we can now spend all the
      time we want hanging out with the mammals, swimming
      with the fishes, and sniffing the flowers of
      turn-of-the-century Mesoamerica.