Re: [pfaf] sourcing plants

  • Martin Naylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
      i'm having a break for a day, the tigers play in the grand final tomorrow sydney 7.00pm australia, and they used to be my team from childhood, i'm going to listen to  the moody blues, striped rolling stones and chill till the ferryman ask for a ticket,

      be wise when you import foriegn speices, i have heard rumers they can turn into weeds,
      agreed, this world is facing iminent destruction, and the future is ours
      love and freedom are at the begining
      martin

      Richard Morris <webmaster@...> wrote:
      astobart wrote:
      > Hi All
      > Not sure if this is an appropriate query for this list but here goes  -
      > my problem is not what to plant but locating a supply source for
      > particular trees and shrubs. I am planting up several acres of a
      > medicinal wood this autumn in Devon. The aim is to demonstrate potential
      > use of an ex-conifer plantation and create sustainable supplies of
      > medicinal trees and shrubs for my practice as a medical herbalist. The
      > planting will be predominantly native broadleaves of medicinal use with
      > an overstorey of oak and ash in the long term. However there are some
      > North American trees and shrubs which I would like to include such as
      > Butternut (Juglans cinerea) and Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus purshiana) and
      > I have not been able to find supplies through the PFAF website so far
      > (although many thanks to suppliers who I have contacted and have
      > responded). Can anyone advise on good contacts in US or elsewhere likely
      > to be able to supply seed or young plants? Would be interested to know
      > if anyone has experience of importing such things - are there particular
      > obstacles/ problems?
      > Best wishes to all
      > Anne
      > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
      > Consultant Medical Herbalist

      Try the RHS plant finder
      http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
      this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've found.

      It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
      Rhamnus purshiana.

      Rich
      --
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
      Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • annestobart
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hmm! This raises an important issue about the potential problems of
        introducing non- native species in case they run amok. But hang on a
        minute - shouldn't we think about this a bit more ? Some of the
        species I am interested in for medicinal use are threatened in their
        native lands - Butternut is being badly hit by a fungus, Rhamnus
        purshiana is heavily wildcrafted. These trees and shrubs are wanted
        for a closely managed situation, not for introduction into the
        wild.They will be grown with other native species reflecting the
        types of medicinal herbs used in actual practice, not theoretical
        suggestions from books. If I can establish how well they grow here
        (South West England) then perhaps they can be maintained for
        sustainable supplies of medicinal barks. This does not solve all
        problems but at least could reduce the demand for species that are
        struggling in US or elsewhere. I would like to see more guidance on
        the introduction of non-native species but in the absence of clear
        advice on individual species am going to find out for myself!

        By the way, thanks for the mention of the RHS Plantfinder - have
        tried this before and found that some species listed are not actually
        available, or that the suppliers focus entirely on larger pots (at a
        price) suitable for gardeners - not ideal for establishing larger
        plantings/ forestry context. Don't know if other people have had the
        same problem but I guess this reflects supply and demand so now am
        also looking more closely at growing from seed for the medicinal wood.
        Cheers all
        Anne
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@y...> wrote:
        > i'm having a break for a day, the tigers play in the grand final
        tomorrow sydney 7.00pm australia, and they used to be my team from
        childhood, i'm going to listen to the moody blues, striped rolling
        stones and chill till the ferryman ask for a ticket,

        > be wise when you import foriegn speices, i have heard rumers they
        can turn into weeds,
        > agreed, this world is facing iminent destruction, and the future is
        ours
        > love and freedom are at the begining
        > martin
        >
        > Richard Morris <webmaster@p...> wrote:
        > astobart wrote:
        > > Hi All
        > > Not sure if this is an appropriate query for this list but here
        goes -
        > > my problem is not what to plant but locating a supply source for
        > > particular trees and shrubs. I am planting up several acres of a
        > > medicinal wood this autumn in Devon. The aim is to demonstrate
        potential
        > > use of an ex-conifer plantation and create sustainable supplies
        of
        > > medicinal trees and shrubs for my practice as a medical
        herbalist. The
        > > planting will be predominantly native broadleaves of medicinal
        use with
        > > an overstorey of oak and ash in the long term. However there are
        some
        > > North American trees and shrubs which I would like to include
        such as
        > > Butternut (Juglans cinerea) and Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus
        purshiana) and
        > > I have not been able to find supplies through the PFAF website so
        far
        > > (although many thanks to suppliers who I have contacted and have
        > > responded). Can anyone advise on good contacts in US or elsewhere
        likely
        > > to be able to supply seed or young plants? Would be interested to
        know
        > > if anyone has experience of importing such things - are there
        particular
        > > obstacles/ problems?
        > > Best wishes to all
        > > Anne
        > > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
        > > Consultant Medical Herbalist
        > >
        > Try the RHS plant finder
        > http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
        > this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've
        found.

        > It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
        > Rhamnus purshiana.
        >
        > Rich
        > --
        > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        > Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
        > Post: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
        > Tel: 01208 872 963
        > Email: webweaver@p...

        Service.

        > The New Yahoo! Movies: Check out the Latest Trailers, Premiere
        Photos and full Actor Database.
      • Liz Turner
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hi Anne
          Have you tried Martin Crawford, Agrofrestry Research Trust in Dartington, south Devon? He has 2 forest gardens here where he is trialling many species to see how they do in this climate - so similar work to you & he may beable to supply you with plants also.
          best wishes
          Liz (south Devon)
> [...]

          > > obstacles/ problems?
          > > Best wishes to all
          > > Anne
          > > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
          > > Consultant Medical Herbalist
          > >
          > Try the RHS plant finder
          > http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
          > this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've
          found.

          > It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
          > Rhamnus purshiana.
          >
          > Rich
          > --
          > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
          > Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/
          > Post:  1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
          > Tel:      01208 872 963
          > Email: webweaver@p...

          Service.

          >   The New Yahoo! Movies: Check out the Latest Trailers, Premiere

        • Colleen & Geoff Keena
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
            Dear Everyone

            Hello from Queensland, Australia, where we are currently experiencing the
            worst drought since 1899 and stringent water restriction.

            When I visited England in 1995, a friend asked me to contact B & T World
            Seeds to get seeds for him. At that time B & T was in England but they are
            now in France. I have purchased seeds a number of times since then and
            always found them extremely helpful. I have just checked the website for
            Juglans cinerea
            http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/b&t30.asp
            and Cascara sagrada.
            http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/comcach.htm

            We grow mainly Australian native plants, particularly edible species. When
            we purchased in the Brisbane Valley in 2005, we turned our acre of lawn into
            gardens, with an emphasis on food-producing plants. However, we would be
            very hungry if we didn't include introduced plants such as sweet potatoes.
            We try to garden with local species as much as possible to provide fauna
            habitat but do include plants from elsewhere, both 'native' and 'exotic',
            especially if they are edible species.We don't knowingly include plants that
            could be carried by birds/wind etc and become invasive but there is always a
            risk with any plant grown out of its original habitat.

            Invasive plants are a vexed question as we have environmental weeds here
            that are Australian plants. When these plants, e.g. some Eucalypts, some
            Acacias, have been grown away from their point of origin, they have gone
            wild. Hence we have to treat with caution any 'native but non-endemic'
            species, as well as needing to take particular care with species from
            overseas, e.g. Hibiscus sabdariffa has naturalised in northern Australia.

            I have many times used the PFAF database as an invaluable source of
            information, e.g.
            http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Hibiscus+sabdariffa&CAN=LATIND
            Thank you to those who have produced such a wonderful reference source.

            I enjoy seeing messages from such different climatic conditions and to
            finding what you can grow.

            Best wishes to all

            Colleen Keena
            South-east Queensland, Australia (sub-tropical climate)