Re: [pfaf] sourcing plants

  • astobart
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi All
      Not sure if this is an appropriate query for this list but here goes  - my problem is not what to plant but locating a supply source for particular trees and shrubs. I am planting up several acres of a medicinal wood this autumn in Devon. The aim is to demonstrate potential use of an ex-conifer plantation and create sustainable supplies of medicinal trees and shrubs for my practice as a medical herbalist. The planting will be predominantly native broadleaves of medicinal use with an overstorey of oak and ash in the long term. However there are some North American trees and shrubs which I would like to include such as Butternut (Juglans cinerea) and Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus purshiana) and I have not been able to find supplies through the PFAF website so far (although many thanks to suppliers who I have contacted and have responded). Can anyone advise on good contacts in US or elsewhere likely to be able to supply seed or young plants? Would be interested to know if anyone has experience of importing such things - are there particular obstacles/ problems?
      Best wishes to all
      Anne
      Anne Stobart, MNIMH
      Consultant Medical Herbalist
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
        astobart wrote:
        > Hi All
        > Not sure if this is an appropriate query for this list but here goes -
        > my problem is not what to plant but locating a supply source for
        > particular trees and shrubs. I am planting up several acres of a
        > medicinal wood this autumn in Devon. The aim is to demonstrate potential
        > use of an ex-conifer plantation and create sustainable supplies of
        > medicinal trees and shrubs for my practice as a medical herbalist. The
        > planting will be predominantly native broadleaves of medicinal use with
        > an overstorey of oak and ash in the long term. However there are some
        > North American trees and shrubs which I would like to include such as
        > Butternut (Juglans cinerea) and Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus purshiana) and
        > I have not been able to find supplies through the PFAF website so far
        > (although many thanks to suppliers who I have contacted and have
        > responded). Can anyone advise on good contacts in US or elsewhere likely
        > to be able to supply seed or young plants? Would be interested to know
        > if anyone has experience of importing such things - are there particular
        > obstacles/ problems?
        > Best wishes to all
        > Anne
        > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
        > Consultant Medical Herbalist

        Try the RHS plant finder
        http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
        this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've found.

        It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
        Rhamnus purshiana.

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
          i'm having a break for a day, the tigers play in the grand final tomorrow sydney 7.00pm australia, and they used to be my team from childhood, i'm going to listen to  the moody blues, striped rolling stones and chill till the ferryman ask for a ticket,

          be wise when you import foriegn speices, i have heard rumers they can turn into weeds,
          agreed, this world is facing iminent destruction, and the future is ours
          love and freedom are at the begining
          martin

          Richard Morris <webmaster@...> wrote:
          astobart wrote:
          > Hi All
          > Not sure if this is an appropriate query for this list but here goes  -
          > my problem is not what to plant but locating a supply source for
          > particular trees and shrubs. I am planting up several acres of a
          > medicinal wood this autumn in Devon. The aim is to demonstrate potential
          > use of an ex-conifer plantation and create sustainable supplies of
          > medicinal trees and shrubs for my practice as a medical herbalist. The
          > planting will be predominantly native broadleaves of medicinal use with
          > an overstorey of oak and ash in the long term. However there are some
          > North American trees and shrubs which I would like to include such as
          > Butternut (Juglans cinerea) and Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus purshiana) and
          > I have not been able to find supplies through the PFAF website so far
          > (although many thanks to suppliers who I have contacted and have
          > responded). Can anyone advise on good contacts in US or elsewhere likely
          > to be able to supply seed or young plants? Would be interested to know
          > if anyone has experience of importing such things - are there particular
          > obstacles/ problems?
          > Best wishes to all
          > Anne
          > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
          > Consultant Medical Herbalist

          Try the RHS plant finder
          http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
          this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've found.

          It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
          Rhamnus purshiana.

          Rich
          --
          Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
          Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/
          Post:  1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
          Tel:      01208 872 963
          Email: webweaver@...

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • annestobart
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
            Hmm! This raises an important issue about the potential problems of
            introducing non- native species in case they run amok. But hang on a
            minute - shouldn't we think about this a bit more ? Some of the
            species I am interested in for medicinal use are threatened in their
            native lands - Butternut is being badly hit by a fungus, Rhamnus
            purshiana is heavily wildcrafted. These trees and shrubs are wanted
            for a closely managed situation, not for introduction into the
            wild.They will be grown with other native species reflecting the
            types of medicinal herbs used in actual practice, not theoretical
            suggestions from books. If I can establish how well they grow here
            (South West England) then perhaps they can be maintained for
            sustainable supplies of medicinal barks. This does not solve all
            problems but at least could reduce the demand for species that are
            struggling in US or elsewhere. I would like to see more guidance on
            the introduction of non-native species but in the absence of clear
            advice on individual species am going to find out for myself!

            By the way, thanks for the mention of the RHS Plantfinder - have
            tried this before and found that some species listed are not actually
            available, or that the suppliers focus entirely on larger pots (at a
            price) suitable for gardeners - not ideal for establishing larger
            plantings/ forestry context. Don't know if other people have had the
            same problem but I guess this reflects supply and demand so now am
            also looking more closely at growing from seed for the medicinal wood.
            Cheers all
            Anne
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@y...> wrote:
            > i'm having a break for a day, the tigers play in the grand final
            tomorrow sydney 7.00pm australia, and they used to be my team from
            childhood, i'm going to listen to the moody blues, striped rolling
            stones and chill till the ferryman ask for a ticket,

            > be wise when you import foriegn speices, i have heard rumers they
            can turn into weeds,
            > agreed, this world is facing iminent destruction, and the future is
            ours
            > love and freedom are at the begining
            > martin
            >
            > Richard Morris <webmaster@p...> wrote:
            > astobart wrote:
            > > Hi All
            > > Not sure if this is an appropriate query for this list but here
            goes -
            > > my problem is not what to plant but locating a supply source for
            > > particular trees and shrubs. I am planting up several acres of a
            > > medicinal wood this autumn in Devon. The aim is to demonstrate
            potential
            > > use of an ex-conifer plantation and create sustainable supplies
            of
            > > medicinal trees and shrubs for my practice as a medical
            herbalist. The
            > > planting will be predominantly native broadleaves of medicinal
            use with
            > > an overstorey of oak and ash in the long term. However there are
            some
            > > North American trees and shrubs which I would like to include
            such as
            > > Butternut (Juglans cinerea) and Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus
            purshiana) and
            > > I have not been able to find supplies through the PFAF website so
            far
            > > (although many thanks to suppliers who I have contacted and have
            > > responded). Can anyone advise on good contacts in US or elsewhere
            likely
            > > to be able to supply seed or young plants? Would be interested to
            know
            > > if anyone has experience of importing such things - are there
            particular
            > > obstacles/ problems?
            > > Best wishes to all
            > > Anne
            > > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
            > > Consultant Medical Herbalist
            > >
            > Try the RHS plant finder
            > http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
            > this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've
            found.

            > It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
            > Rhamnus purshiana.
            >
            > Rich
            > --
            > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
            > Web: http://www.pfaf.org/
            > Post: 1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
            > Tel: 01208 872 963
            > Email: webweaver@p...

            Service.

            > The New Yahoo! Movies: Check out the Latest Trailers, Premiere
            Photos and full Actor Database.
          • Liz Turner
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
              Hi Anne
              Have you tried Martin Crawford, Agrofrestry Research Trust in Dartington, south Devon? He has 2 forest gardens here where he is trialling many species to see how they do in this climate - so similar work to you & he may beable to supply you with plants also.
              best wishes
              Liz (south Devon)
> [...]

              > > obstacles/ problems?
              > > Best wishes to all
              > > Anne
              > > Anne Stobart, MNIMH
              > > Consultant Medical Herbalist
              > >
              > Try the RHS plant finder
              > http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
              > this is the mosr compreshesive list of UK plants suppliers I've
              found.

              > It lists 5 supliers for Juglans cinerea and one for
              > Rhamnus purshiana.
              >
              > Rich
              > --
              > Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
              > Web:   http://www.pfaf.org/
              > Post:  1 Lerryn View, Lerryn, Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22 0QJ
              > Tel:      01208 872 963
              > Email: webweaver@p...

              Service.

              >   The New Yahoo! Movies: Check out the Latest Trailers, Premiere

            • Colleen & Geoff Keena
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
                Dear Everyone

                Hello from Queensland, Australia, where we are currently experiencing the
                worst drought since 1899 and stringent water restriction.

                When I visited England in 1995, a friend asked me to contact B & T World
                Seeds to get seeds for him. At that time B & T was in England but they are
                now in France. I have purchased seeds a number of times since then and
                always found them extremely helpful. I have just checked the website for
                Juglans cinerea
                http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/b&t30.asp
                and Cascara sagrada.
                http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/comcach.htm

                We grow mainly Australian native plants, particularly edible species. When
                we purchased in the Brisbane Valley in 2005, we turned our acre of lawn into
                gardens, with an emphasis on food-producing plants. However, we would be
                very hungry if we didn't include introduced plants such as sweet potatoes.
                We try to garden with local species as much as possible to provide fauna
                habitat but do include plants from elsewhere, both 'native' and 'exotic',
                especially if they are edible species.We don't knowingly include plants that
                could be carried by birds/wind etc and become invasive but there is always a
                risk with any plant grown out of its original habitat.

                Invasive plants are a vexed question as we have environmental weeds here
                that are Australian plants. When these plants, e.g. some Eucalypts, some
                Acacias, have been grown away from their point of origin, they have gone
                wild. Hence we have to treat with caution any 'native but non-endemic'
                species, as well as needing to take particular care with species from
                overseas, e.g. Hibiscus sabdariffa has naturalised in northern Australia.

                I have many times used the PFAF database as an invaluable source of
                information, e.g.
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Hibiscus+sabdariffa&CAN=LATIND
                Thank you to those who have produced such a wonderful reference source.

                I enjoy seeing messages from such different climatic conditions and to
                finding what you can grow.

                Best wishes to all

                Colleen Keena
                South-east Queensland, Australia (sub-tropical climate)