Re: [pfaf] Kiwi fruit

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
      Yes
      both A kolomicta and A melanandra is fruiting well here.

      At University of Ås (NLH) I have also seen rich fruiting of arguta
      (not Issai) and some others,
      plant material is perhaps not any longer available,
      except in the botanical garden at Gothenburg , Sweden - where they also
      fruit well !

      Geir

      Stephe skrev:

      >Hei Geir:
      >
      >I have a Kiwi which is about 17 years old (A. chinensis) on the south
      >wall of my house near Trondheim in Norway. I did have two, but the other
      >died, so absolutely no chance of fruit. In fact it's never even bothered
      >to flower! However, as you say it's a nice plant and visitors are always
      >impressed to find a kiwi in the garden!
      >
      >My Issai hasn't fruited (4 years old) although it's supposed to be
      >self-fertile.
      >
      >Last weekend I was at a nursery near here and they were selling
      >Actinidia kolomikta "Oskar" (Male) and "Paula" (Female) and I gave in to
      >temptation.... Any experience with kolomikta?
      >
      >Stephen, Malvik, Norway
      >
      >Message: 2
      > Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:08:50 +0200
      > From: Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>
      >Subject: Re: kiwi fruit in UK
      >
      >We are growing kiwi (fruit) plants (Actinidia chinensis) here in Norway,
      >getting fruit is not possible from those plants we have, still they are
      >nice climbers.
      >Actinidia arguta Issai , is fruiting well.
      >
      >Once i had a talk with Max Lindegger , Permaculturist from Australia. He
      >
      >was quite sure that there were varieties in New Zealand, that had so
      >early maturing fruit, that they would ripen also in Norwegian climate. I
      >have not got the varieties, and neither the names.
      >
      >Geir Flatabø
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Cesca
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005

        Hi is anyone near to Leicester and would like to do a work swap type of thing?

        I have an organic smallholding www.cornerplotvegetables.co.uk  and would like to see/experience more permaculture style gardens.

        I thought if I could do a few hours work for you and then you come and help on my field in exchange?

        Has anyone any thoughts on this ?

        Good idea or bad?

        Cesca