Kiwi fruit

  • Stephe
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
      Hei Geir:

      I have a Kiwi which is about 17 years old (A. chinensis) on the south
      wall of my house near Trondheim in Norway. I did have two, but the other
      died, so absolutely no chance of fruit. In fact it's never even bothered
      to flower! However, as you say it's a nice plant and visitors are always
      impressed to find a kiwi in the garden!

      My Issai hasn't fruited (4 years old) although it's supposed to be
      self-fertile.

      Last weekend I was at a nursery near here and they were selling
      Actinidia kolomikta "Oskar" (Male) and "Paula" (Female) and I gave in to
      temptation.... Any experience with kolomikta?

      Stephen, Malvik, Norway

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:08:50 +0200
      From: Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>
      Subject: Re: kiwi fruit in UK

      We are growing kiwi (fruit) plants (Actinidia chinensis) here in Norway,
      getting fruit is not possible from those plants we have, still they are
      nice climbers.
      Actinidia arguta Issai , is fruiting well.

      Once i had a talk with Max Lindegger , Permaculturist from Australia. He

      was quite sure that there were varieties in New Zealand, that had so
      early maturing fruit, that they would ripen also in Norwegian climate. I
      have not got the varieties, and neither the names.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2005
        Yes
        both A kolomicta and A melanandra is fruiting well here.

        At University of Ås (NLH) I have also seen rich fruiting of arguta
        (not Issai) and some others,
        plant material is perhaps not any longer available,
        except in the botanical garden at Gothenburg , Sweden - where they also
        fruit well !

        Geir

        Stephe skrev:

        >Hei Geir:
        >
        >I have a Kiwi which is about 17 years old (A. chinensis) on the south
        >wall of my house near Trondheim in Norway. I did have two, but the other
        >died, so absolutely no chance of fruit. In fact it's never even bothered
        >to flower! However, as you say it's a nice plant and visitors are always
        >impressed to find a kiwi in the garden!
        >
        >My Issai hasn't fruited (4 years old) although it's supposed to be
        >self-fertile.
        >
        >Last weekend I was at a nursery near here and they were selling
        >Actinidia kolomikta "Oskar" (Male) and "Paula" (Female) and I gave in to
        >temptation.... Any experience with kolomikta?
        >
        >Stephen, Malvik, Norway
        >
        >Message: 2
        > Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:08:50 +0200
        > From: Geir Flatabø <geirf@...>
        >Subject: Re: kiwi fruit in UK
        >
        >We are growing kiwi (fruit) plants (Actinidia chinensis) here in Norway,
        >getting fruit is not possible from those plants we have, still they are
        >nice climbers.
        >Actinidia arguta Issai , is fruiting well.
        >
        >Once i had a talk with Max Lindegger , Permaculturist from Australia. He
        >
        >was quite sure that there were varieties in New Zealand, that had so
        >early maturing fruit, that they would ripen also in Norwegian climate. I
        >have not got the varieties, and neither the names.
        >
        >Geir Flatabø
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Cesca
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005

          Hi is anyone near to Leicester and would like to do a work swap type of thing?

          I have an organic smallholding www.cornerplotvegetables.co.uk  and would like to see/experience more permaculture style gardens.

          I thought if I could do a few hours work for you and then you come and help on my field in exchange?

          Has anyone any thoughts on this ?

          Good idea or bad?

          Cesca