Re: [pfaf] Re: [PermacultureWoodlands] WHY WE NEED WILD LAND

  • Andy Reed
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 1997
      I don't know if it would work where you live, but in the midwest US we have an invincible scourge that takes over any open space called mulitflora rose, also non-native.  This is a major problem but a major breakthrough was realized when we figured out goats like to eat it, might be ridiculous, off the mark, but have you tried letting goats eat the invasive blackberry?
      Andrew Reed, B.S.
      "there is no way to peace, peace is the way"
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5 1:49 PM
        Thank you for the information.
        We can grow mostly the same here at the "Atlantic Northwest", that you
        mentions, except that the figs and Citrus have to be moved indooors at
        winter time,
        and the huckleberries I have not tried.
        Would it be possible for you to send some huckleberry (Gaylussacia ?)
        seeds ??

        Geir Flatabø

        Diana Santry skrev:

        > In the Willamette River valley where I live, many berries grow well.
        > We grow native blackberries, salal, salmon berries and
        > huckleberries, and have added raspberries, blueberries, cranberries.
        > We grow some lingonberries-that I think come from your region, as well
        > as boysenberries, currants, gooseberries.
        > We actually have a huge problem with non-native blackberries being
        > invasive and causing erosion and removing diversity around water
        > bodies-it is just one of the things affecting our loss of salmon
        > habitat.
        > But back to what grows: apples, figs, peaches, plums, cherries, some
        > nuts, like walnuts and filberts, and much more. Even some of the
        > hardier citrus will grow here. This is a very fertile area with a
        > mild climate. A nursery that specializes in unusual edibles nearby
        > may help illustrate what we can grow.
        > Here is the nursery's interesting website: http://www.onegreenworld.com/
        > Another similar and terrific nursery north of us in the state of
        > Washington is http://www.raintreenursery.com/
        > Hope you find this interesting,
        > Diana

      • Diana Santry
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23 9:46 PM
          Andy-
          My apologies for the delay in answering this..people
          around here are using goats to eat the blackberry too!
          It's a great plan! Rent-a goat! Also, we've just
          heard that a disease is attacking some of the berries
          in Oregon, possibly will affect the non-natives,
          possibly will affect natives to.. too early to tell
          what will happen, but interesting.
          We have a little of the multi flora rose,
          also-probably not nearly as much as you have. I
          guess the government handed that out years back as a
          fencing material to encourage livestock. Is that
          true?
          The amount of invasive blackberry and english ivy is
          stunning around here.
          I volunteer some weekends for SOLV (stop Oregon litter
          and vandalism) a large organization that also has
          enouraged 'stream teams'- we get out and remove
          invasive plants and replant natives around
          streams-especially salmon spawning areas. There's
          also a group called the 'no ivy league' which is
          helping remove ivy from our forests where it will kill
          huge amounts of trees. I like the goat plan best
          *smile*
          Thanks for your comment.
          Diana

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Diana Santry
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23 9:53 PM
            Andy,
            This wonderful idea sounds as though a grant might be
            waiting for it. If those are available anymore under
            the current administration... I would start with a
            google search for grants for economic development/
            agricultural/ maybe make contact with the particular
            tribal government...if in the US..for seed money?
            Great idea! I think you can find someone willing to
            help that get off the ground. Let me know if you want
            to discuss more ideas!

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs