Re: [pfaf] Re: [PermacultureWoodlands] WHY WE NEED WILD LAND

  • Andy Reed
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 1997
      Does anybody know anyone with investments interest in a sustainable wild berry business that encourages economic development for rural aboriginal first nations peoples?  I have it all just waiting to proceed, the community, willing bodies, etc.  It would be a dream come true.
      Andrew Reed, B.S.
      "there is no way to peace, peace is the way"
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 1997
        I don't know if it would work where you live, but in the midwest US we have an invincible scourge that takes over any open space called mulitflora rose, also non-native.  This is a major problem but a major breakthrough was realized when we figured out goats like to eat it, might be ridiculous, off the mark, but have you tried letting goats eat the invasive blackberry?

        Diana Santry skrev:

> [...]

        >>watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
        >>eccentric, to say
        >>the least, and crazy maybe more often.
        >>
        >>I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
        >>them roll their eyes
        >>too often.
        >>
        >>When we moved here this was basically dead soil.  It
        >>had been
        >>chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
        >>I used to get
        >>rashes all over me when I tried working in the
        >>soil...and my dogs
        >>lost hair from laying on it.
        >>
        >>It has taught me so much more than I could ever
        >>learn in a book, even
        >>if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
        >>
        >>Gloria, Texas USA

        >>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        >>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >>

        >>---------------------------------
        >>

        >>Send instant messages to your online friends

      • Diana Santry
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
          We have a pretty good attitude about wildness here in
          Portland, Oregon, US, still I live in a 'tidy'
          neighborhood. I don't have much more than a little
          city lot, but it's teeming with berries and fruit and
          weeds! that the pollinators love! My neighbors don't
          know much of what to think, because it certainly
          doesn't fit in, but its gorgeous! and me and the kids
          can eat berries if we beat the birds and life is here!
          I hope this takes over the town. Feels so good!
          Congratulations to all of us humans allowing our earth
          to recover in Texas and in Australia and all over this
          world! We don't need to control everything! Thanks for
          this posting. My heart feels better hearing about
          people with a future in mind!
          Diana

          --- Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@...> wrote:

          > hi
          > thats so wonderfull, over here in australia we have
          > a tidy towns competition, bill mollison whant's it
          > changed to an untidy town's competition, at least
          > you know that your eyes don't lie, don't fear there
          > are many along the line who know not what any of it
          > is worth,
          > martin
          >
          > "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
          > I wish I had a camera...and had had a camera...to
          > show you what has
          > happened to my own 3 acres in NCentral Texas in the
          > 8 years we have
          > lived here. I don't mow it..well most of it.
          >
          > It is also regenerating. Each year I see new weeds
          > replace the
          > varieties that were there the year before..and
          > sometimes longer.
          > Birds, or other critters, have planted trees for us
          > that have grown
          > so quickly it is hard to believe after dealing with
          > transplanted
          > trees from nurseries all of my life. One hackberry
          > tree was as tall
          > as the house (sits on the other side of the driveway
          > from it) after 3
          > years!
          >
          > Wildflowers also seem to change out. It has been so
          > interesting to
          > watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
          > eccentric, to say
          > the least, and crazy maybe more often.
          >
          > I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
          > them roll their eyes
          > too often.
          >
          > When we moved here this was basically dead soil. It
          > had been
          > chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
          > I used to get
          > rashes all over me when I tried working in the
          > soil...and my dogs
          > lost hair from laying on it.
          >
          > It has taught me so much more than I could ever
          > learn in a book, even
          > if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
          >
          > Gloria, Texas USA

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

          > http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Martin Naylor
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
            HI
            oregan must be a pretty nice place, two of my gods from the seventies moved there, robert masters and jean houston, as oregon become the new hippy land
            martin

            Diana Santry <dianasantry@...> wrote:
            We have a pretty good attitude about wildness here in
            Portland, Oregon, US, still I live in a 'tidy'
            neighborhood.  I don't have much more than a little
            city lot, but it's teeming with berries and fruit and
            weeds! that the pollinators love!  My neighbors don't
            know much of what to think, because it certainly
            doesn't fit in, but its gorgeous! and me and the kids
            can eat berries if we beat the birds and life is here!
            I hope this takes over the town.  Feels so good!
            Congratulations to all of us humans allowing our earth
            to recover in Texas and in Australia and all over this
            world! We don't need to control everything! Thanks for
            this posting. My heart feels better hearing about
            people with a future in mind!
            Diana

            --- Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@...> wrote:

            > hi
            > thats so wonderfull, over here in australia we have
            > a tidy towns competition, bill mollison whant's it
            > changed to an untidy town's competition, at least
            > you know that your eyes don't lie, don't fear there
            > are many along the line who know not what any of it
            > is worth,
            > martin
            >
            > "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
            > I wish I had a camera...and had had a camera...to
            > show you what has
            > happened to my own 3 acres in NCentral Texas in the
            > 8 years we have
            > lived here.  I don't mow it..well most of it.
            >
            > It is also regenerating.  Each year I see new weeds
            > replace the
            > varieties that were there the year before..and
            > sometimes longer.
            > Birds, or other critters, have planted trees for us
            > that have grown
            > so quickly it is hard to believe after dealing with
            > transplanted
            > trees from nurseries all of my life.  One hackberry
            > tree was as tall
            > as the house (sits on the other side of the driveway
            > from it) after 3
            > years!
            >
            > Wildflowers also seem to change out.  It has been so
            > interesting to
            > watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
            > eccentric, to say
            > the least, and crazy maybe more often.
            >
            > I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
            > them roll their eyes
            > too often.
            >
            > When we moved here this was basically dead soil.  It
            > had been
            > chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
            > I used to get
            > rashes all over me when I tried working in the
            > soil...and my dogs
            > lost hair from laying on it.
            >
            > It has taught me so much more than I could ever
            > learn in a book, even
            > if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
            >
            > Gloria, Texas USA

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

            > http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Organic gardeningOrganic gardening magazineOrganic gardening pest control
            Organic gardening supplyOrganic vegetable gardeningOrganic garden

            Do you Yahoo!?
            Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005

              Diana Santry skrev:

> [...]
              >>watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
              >>eccentric, to say
              >>the least, and crazy maybe more often.
              >>
              >>I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
              >>them roll their eyes
              >>too often.
              >>
              >>When we moved here this was basically dead soil. It
              >>had been
              >>chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
              >>I used to get
              >>rashes all over me when I tried working in the
              >>soil...and my dogs
              >>lost hair from laying on it.
              >>
              >>It has taught me so much more than I could ever
              >>learn in a book, even
              >>if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
              >>
              >>Gloria, Texas USA

              >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
              >>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >>

              >>---------------------------------
              >>

              >>Send instant messages to your online friends

            • Diana Santry
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2005

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Thank you for the information.
                  We can grow mostly the same here at the "Atlantic Northwest", that you
                  mentions, except that the figs and Citrus have to be moved indooors at
                  winter time,
                  and the huckleberries I have not tried.
                  Would it be possible for you to send some huckleberry (Gaylussacia ?)
                  seeds ??

                  Geir Flatabø

                  Diana Santry skrev:

                  > In the Willamette River valley where I live, many berries grow well.
                  > We grow native blackberries, salal, salmon berries and
                  > huckleberries, and have added raspberries, blueberries, cranberries.
                  > We grow some lingonberries-that I think come from your region, as well
                  > as boysenberries, currants, gooseberries.
                  > We actually have a huge problem with non-native blackberries being
                  > invasive and causing erosion and removing diversity around water
                  > bodies-it is just one of the things affecting our loss of salmon
                  > habitat.
                  > But back to what grows: apples, figs, peaches, plums, cherries, some
                  > nuts, like walnuts and filberts, and much more. Even some of the
                  > hardier citrus will grow here. This is a very fertile area with a
                  > mild climate. A nursery that specializes in unusual edibles nearby
                  > may help illustrate what we can grow.
                  > Here is the nursery's interesting website: http://www.onegreenworld.com/
                  > Another similar and terrific nursery north of us in the state of
                  > Washington is http://www.raintreenursery.com/
                  > Hope you find this interesting,
                  > Diana

                • Diana Santry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
                    Andy-
                    My apologies for the delay in answering this..people
                    around here are using goats to eat the blackberry too!
                    It's a great plan! Rent-a goat! Also, we've just
                    heard that a disease is attacking some of the berries
                    in Oregon, possibly will affect the non-natives,
                    possibly will affect natives to.. too early to tell
                    what will happen, but interesting.
                    We have a little of the multi flora rose,
                    also-probably not nearly as much as you have. I
                    guess the government handed that out years back as a
                    fencing material to encourage livestock. Is that
                    true?
                    The amount of invasive blackberry and english ivy is
                    stunning around here.
                    I volunteer some weekends for SOLV (stop Oregon litter
                    and vandalism) a large organization that also has
                    enouraged 'stream teams'- we get out and remove
                    invasive plants and replant natives around
                    streams-especially salmon spawning areas. There's
                    also a group called the 'no ivy league' which is
                    helping remove ivy from our forests where it will kill
                    huge amounts of trees. I like the goat plan best
                    *smile*
                    Thanks for your comment.
                    Diana

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Diana Santry
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
                      Andy,
                      This wonderful idea sounds as though a grant might be
                      waiting for it. If those are available anymore under
                      the current administration... I would start with a
                      google search for grants for economic development/
                      agricultural/ maybe make contact with the particular
                      tribal government...if in the US..for seed money?
                      Great idea! I think you can find someone willing to
                      help that get off the ground. Let me know if you want
                      to discuss more ideas!

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs