Re: [pfaf] Re: [PermacultureWoodlands] WHY WE NEED WILD LAND

  • Andy Reed
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 1997
      Does anybody know anyone with investments interest in a sustainable wild berry business that encourages economic development for rural aboriginal first nations peoples?  I have it all just waiting to proceed, the community, willing bodies, etc.  It would be a dream come true.
      Andrew Reed, B.S.
      "there is no way to peace, peace is the way"
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 1997
        I don't know if it would work where you live, but in the midwest US we have an invincible scourge that takes over any open space called mulitflora rose, also non-native.  This is a major problem but a major breakthrough was realized when we figured out goats like to eat it, might be ridiculous, off the mark, but have you tried letting goats eat the invasive blackberry?

        Diana Santry skrev:

> [...]

        >>watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
        >>eccentric, to say
        >>the least, and crazy maybe more often.
        >>
        >>I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
        >>them roll their eyes
        >>too often.
        >>
        >>When we moved here this was basically dead soil.  It
        >>had been
        >>chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
        >>I used to get
        >>rashes all over me when I tried working in the
        >>soil...and my dogs
        >>lost hair from laying on it.
        >>
        >>It has taught me so much more than I could ever
        >>learn in a book, even
        >>if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
        >>
        >>Gloria, Texas USA

        >>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        >>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >>

        >>---------------------------------
        >>

        >>Send instant messages to your online friends

      • Martin Naylor

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
            We have a pretty good attitude about wildness here in
            Portland, Oregon, US, still I live in a 'tidy'
            neighborhood. I don't have much more than a little
            city lot, but it's teeming with berries and fruit and
            weeds! that the pollinators love! My neighbors don't
            know much of what to think, because it certainly
            doesn't fit in, but its gorgeous! and me and the kids
            can eat berries if we beat the birds and life is here!
            I hope this takes over the town. Feels so good!
            Congratulations to all of us humans allowing our earth
            to recover in Texas and in Australia and all over this
            world! We don't need to control everything! Thanks for
            this posting. My heart feels better hearing about
            people with a future in mind!
            Diana

            --- Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@...> wrote:

            > hi
            > thats so wonderfull, over here in australia we have
            > a tidy towns competition, bill mollison whant's it
            > changed to an untidy town's competition, at least
            > you know that your eyes don't lie, don't fear there
            > are many along the line who know not what any of it
            > is worth,
            > martin
            >
            > "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
            > I wish I had a camera...and had had a camera...to
            > show you what has
            > happened to my own 3 acres in NCentral Texas in the
            > 8 years we have
            > lived here. I don't mow it..well most of it.
            >
            > It is also regenerating. Each year I see new weeds
            > replace the
            > varieties that were there the year before..and
            > sometimes longer.
            > Birds, or other critters, have planted trees for us
            > that have grown
            > so quickly it is hard to believe after dealing with
            > transplanted
            > trees from nurseries all of my life. One hackberry
            > tree was as tall
            > as the house (sits on the other side of the driveway
            > from it) after 3
            > years!
            >
            > Wildflowers also seem to change out. It has been so
            > interesting to
            > watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
            > eccentric, to say
            > the least, and crazy maybe more often.
            >
            > I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
            > them roll their eyes
            > too often.
            >
            > When we moved here this was basically dead soil. It
            > had been
            > chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
            > I used to get
            > rashes all over me when I tried working in the
            > soil...and my dogs
            > lost hair from laying on it.
            >
            > It has taught me so much more than I could ever
            > learn in a book, even
            > if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
            >
            > Gloria, Texas USA

            > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

            > http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Martin Naylor
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005
              HI
              oregan must be a pretty nice place, two of my gods from the seventies moved there, robert masters and jean houston, as oregon become the new hippy land
              martin

              Diana Santry <dianasantry@...> wrote:
              We have a pretty good attitude about wildness here in
              Portland, Oregon, US, still I live in a 'tidy'
              neighborhood.  I don't have much more than a little
              city lot, but it's teeming with berries and fruit and
              weeds! that the pollinators love!  My neighbors don't
              know much of what to think, because it certainly
              doesn't fit in, but its gorgeous! and me and the kids
              can eat berries if we beat the birds and life is here!
              I hope this takes over the town.  Feels so good!
              Congratulations to all of us humans allowing our earth
              to recover in Texas and in Australia and all over this
              world! We don't need to control everything! Thanks for
              this posting. My heart feels better hearing about
              people with a future in mind!
              Diana

              --- Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@...> wrote:

              > hi
              > thats so wonderfull, over here in australia we have
              > a tidy towns competition, bill mollison whant's it
              > changed to an untidy town's competition, at least
              > you know that your eyes don't lie, don't fear there
              > are many along the line who know not what any of it
              > is worth,
              > martin
              >
              > "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
              > I wish I had a camera...and had had a camera...to
              > show you what has
              > happened to my own 3 acres in NCentral Texas in the
              > 8 years we have
              > lived here.  I don't mow it..well most of it.
              >
              > It is also regenerating.  Each year I see new weeds
              > replace the
              > varieties that were there the year before..and
              > sometimes longer.
              > Birds, or other critters, have planted trees for us
              > that have grown
              > so quickly it is hard to believe after dealing with
              > transplanted
              > trees from nurseries all of my life.  One hackberry
              > tree was as tall
              > as the house (sits on the other side of the driveway
              > from it) after 3
              > years!
              >
              > Wildflowers also seem to change out.  It has been so
              > interesting to
              > watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
              > eccentric, to say
              > the least, and crazy maybe more often.
              >
              > I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
              > them roll their eyes
              > too often.
              >
              > When we moved here this was basically dead soil.  It
              > had been
              > chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
              > I used to get
              > rashes all over me when I tried working in the
              > soil...and my dogs
              > lost hair from laying on it.
              >
              > It has taught me so much more than I could ever
              > learn in a book, even
              > if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
              >
              > Gloria, Texas USA

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------

              > http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com

              Organic gardeningOrganic gardening magazineOrganic gardening pest control
              Organic gardening supplyOrganic vegetable gardeningOrganic garden

              Do you Yahoo!?
              Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2005

                Diana Santry skrev:

> [...]
                >>watch, though I suspect the neighbors think I am
                >>eccentric, to say
                >>the least, and crazy maybe more often.
                >>
                >>I have tried to explain it to them...and watched
                >>them roll their eyes
                >>too often.
                >>
                >>When we moved here this was basically dead soil. It
                >>had been
                >>chemically farmed for as long as anyone remembered.
                >>I used to get
                >>rashes all over me when I tried working in the
                >>soil...and my dogs
                >>lost hair from laying on it.
                >>
                >>It has taught me so much more than I could ever
                >>learn in a book, even
                >>if it looks like no gardener lives here at all.
                >>
                >>Gloria, Texas USA

                >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                >>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                >>

                >>---------------------------------
                >>

                >>Send instant messages to your online friends

              • Diana Santry
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2005

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2005
                    Thank you for the information.
                    We can grow mostly the same here at the "Atlantic Northwest", that you
                    mentions, except that the figs and Citrus have to be moved indooors at
                    winter time,
                    and the huckleberries I have not tried.
                    Would it be possible for you to send some huckleberry (Gaylussacia ?)
                    seeds ??

                    Geir Flatabø

                    Diana Santry skrev:

                    > In the Willamette River valley where I live, many berries grow well.
                    > We grow native blackberries, salal, salmon berries and
                    > huckleberries, and have added raspberries, blueberries, cranberries.
                    > We grow some lingonberries-that I think come from your region, as well
                    > as boysenberries, currants, gooseberries.
                    > We actually have a huge problem with non-native blackberries being
                    > invasive and causing erosion and removing diversity around water
                    > bodies-it is just one of the things affecting our loss of salmon
                    > habitat.
                    > But back to what grows: apples, figs, peaches, plums, cherries, some
                    > nuts, like walnuts and filberts, and much more. Even some of the
                    > hardier citrus will grow here. This is a very fertile area with a
                    > mild climate. A nursery that specializes in unusual edibles nearby
                    > may help illustrate what we can grow.
                    > Here is the nursery's interesting website: http://www.onegreenworld.com/
                    > Another similar and terrific nursery north of us in the state of
                    > Washington is http://www.raintreenursery.com/
                    > Hope you find this interesting,
                    > Diana

                  • Diana Santry
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
                      Andy-
                      My apologies for the delay in answering this..people
                      around here are using goats to eat the blackberry too!
                      It's a great plan! Rent-a goat! Also, we've just
                      heard that a disease is attacking some of the berries
                      in Oregon, possibly will affect the non-natives,
                      possibly will affect natives to.. too early to tell
                      what will happen, but interesting.
                      We have a little of the multi flora rose,
                      also-probably not nearly as much as you have. I
                      guess the government handed that out years back as a
                      fencing material to encourage livestock. Is that
                      true?
                      The amount of invasive blackberry and english ivy is
                      stunning around here.
                      I volunteer some weekends for SOLV (stop Oregon litter
                      and vandalism) a large organization that also has
                      enouraged 'stream teams'- we get out and remove
                      invasive plants and replant natives around
                      streams-especially salmon spawning areas. There's
                      also a group called the 'no ivy league' which is
                      helping remove ivy from our forests where it will kill
                      huge amounts of trees. I like the goat plan best
                      *smile*
                      Thanks for your comment.
                      Diana

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Diana Santry
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
                        Andy,
                        This wonderful idea sounds as though a grant might be
                        waiting for it. If those are available anymore under
                        the current administration... I would start with a
                        google search for grants for economic development/
                        agricultural/ maybe make contact with the particular
                        tribal government...if in the US..for seed money?
                        Great idea! I think you can find someone willing to
                        help that get off the ground. Let me know if you want
                        to discuss more ideas!

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs