Re: [pfaf] Re: Stats from pfaf database

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
      I am still in the planning stages, but vegetation will play a big role

      >on my rocky (needs tree roots that can dissolve rocks) landscape with
      >acidic soil (need acid-loving plants) in zone 3a (meaning cold enough to
      >destroy shallow-rooted plants in rock-laden soils) at a fairly decent
      >latitude of 45.9.Thanks George (Canada)

      Trees them selves are not good at "dissolving stone",
      but at least pines and spruces and oaks have (might have) symbiotic
      fungi that have this ability, producing oxalic acids etc, that virtually
      eat stone.

      Geir Flatabø
    • Cesca
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005

        Hi please has anyone had any success in growing kiwi in the UK . I have a south side drip edge of an old goat willow below which I’d like to grow a couple of kiwi. I imagined supporting them until they were large enough to reach the tips of the willow (about 5’) It is quite a protected spot north protection from the tree, good soil,

        Any advise on which variety?

        Am reading pfaf database and A R Trust but nothing beats experience!

        Thanks

        Cesca

        Anybody know of any permaculture/ forest gardening courses over the winter near Leicester ? Got kids and poultry so weekend trips away to Devon or Wales just aren’t possible.

      • bslark@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
          Hi

          I know that the ART are actually carrying out trials of Kiwi fruit in their Devon forest garden, as I have seen them growing there.Try giving Martin Crawford a ring of email and I am sure he will be able to help you.

          Good luck

          Bruce Slark
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
            We are growing kiwi (fruit) plants (Actinidia chinensis) here in Norway,
            getting fruit is not possible from those plants we have, still they are
            nice climbers.
            Actinidia arguta Issai , is fruiting well.

            Once i had a talk with Max Lindegger , Permaculturist from Australia. He
            was quite sure that there were varieties in New Zealand, that had so
            early maturing fruit, that they would ripen also in Norwegian climate.
            I have not got the varieties, and neither the names.

            Geir Flatabø