Re: Stats from pfaf database

  • sustain_ability@123mail.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2005
      Good on you, Rich.

      I am still in the planning stages, but vegetation will play a big role
      on my rocky (needs tree roots that can dissolve rocks) landscape with
      acidic soil (need acid-loving plants) in zone 3a (meaning cold enough to
      destroy shallow-rooted plants in rock-laden soils) at a fairly decent
      latitude of 45.9.

      I will likely use a combo raised bed/many-uses panels (incl. shade,
      transparent, open with chicken wire inserts) type structure that can be
      moved to more suitable locations according to the season, i.e.
      winterized greenhouse with several redundant heating systems and
      container growing. The extreme would be an aquaponic set-up combo, but
      that needs a lot more planning. Still, the ideas are appearing on
      various discussion groups. It is very gratifying.

      Thanks
      George (Canada)

      On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:42:28 +0100, "Richard Morris"
      <webmaster@...> said:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > People might be interested latest stats from the PFAF website.
      > These are from the ibiblio US mirror over the last two years.
      >
      > Hits shot up from about 100,000/month to about 400,000/month
      > around the time the old Leeds website went off line.
      ..[snip]..
      -- The tragedy of the cheap oil era is that there was no need to learn from our mistakes.

      Check out Dr. Williams' Proposal for a Solar Tower
      http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/mogiljan
      To obtain three pdf files (600k) -
      send your Yahoo ID only to download; or I will send via email attachment.
      http://www.geocities.com/mogiljan/SustainableFuture.html

      sustain_ability@...

      wherever you are
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2005
        I am still in the planning stages, but vegetation will play a big role

        >on my rocky (needs tree roots that can dissolve rocks) landscape with
        >acidic soil (need acid-loving plants) in zone 3a (meaning cold enough to
        >destroy shallow-rooted plants in rock-laden soils) at a fairly decent
        >latitude of 45.9.Thanks George (Canada)

        Trees them selves are not good at "dissolving stone",
        but at least pines and spruces and oaks have (might have) symbiotic
        fungi that have this ability, producing oxalic acids etc, that virtually
        eat stone.

        Geir Flatabø
      • Cesca
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005

          Hi please has anyone had any success in growing kiwi in the UK . I have a south side drip edge of an old goat willow below which I’d like to grow a couple of kiwi. I imagined supporting them until they were large enough to reach the tips of the willow (about 5’) It is quite a protected spot north protection from the tree, good soil,

          Any advise on which variety?

          Am reading pfaf database and A R Trust but nothing beats experience!

          Thanks

          Cesca

          Anybody know of any permaculture/ forest gardening courses over the winter near Leicester ? Got kids and poultry so weekend trips away to Devon or Wales just aren’t possible.

        • bslark@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
            Hi

            I know that the ART are actually carrying out trials of Kiwi fruit in their Devon forest garden, as I have seen them growing there.Try giving Martin Crawford a ring of email and I am sure he will be able to help you.

            Good luck

            Bruce Slark
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
              We are growing kiwi (fruit) plants (Actinidia chinensis) here in Norway,
              getting fruit is not possible from those plants we have, still they are
              nice climbers.
              Actinidia arguta Issai , is fruiting well.

              Once i had a talk with Max Lindegger , Permaculturist from Australia. He
              was quite sure that there were varieties in New Zealand, that had so
              early maturing fruit, that they would ripen also in Norwegian climate.
              I have not got the varieties, and neither the names.

              Geir Flatabø