Re: Edible flowers [pfaf] Life and Death

  • A. A. Pasternak
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 10, 2005
      Hi,

      I would not go to a local florist unless the growing medium for edible flowers, including herbice/pesticide could be verified. Besides, once it is in a florist shop, the price way to high. An grocery is more likely to carry the items you seek. Don't forget, that some Chinese vegetables have the same requirements you seek.

      This page states

       "The ideal diet for iguanas is very inexpensive and should contain as the staple of the diet dark leafy greens. To be specific the diet should consist of Collard greens, Turnip greens, Mustard greens, Dandelion greens, and both Mulberry and Hibiscus. The greens that contain the highest calcium and the lowest phosphorous ratio are Collard greens with a calcium to phosphorous ratio of 7-1."

      Lots of foods to be AVOIDED though:

      "Spinach should be AVOIDED because it binds calcium. Other vegetables to AVOID are Cabbage and Broccoli because they inhibit thyroid production. Other fruits and vegetables may be added to the diet and help provide variety but the staple of the diet should always remain the dark leafy greens mentioned above. Crickets and meal worms will be readily accepted by iguanas, but offer little nutritional value and have a hard exoskeleton that may cause intestinal blockages that could lead to constipation or prolapse. They are also high in animal proteins which have been linked to kidney and liver problems in older iguanas. Crickets and mealworms also contain high levels of phosphorous, which can create a calcium phosphorous imbalance leading to very serious medical conditions which will often start to appear as tremors. Foods containing high proteins should be avoided. Cat chow, dog chow, monkey chow and trout chow all fall into this category and contain too much animal protein for iguanas whose primary source of protein is in the form of plant proteins and not animal proteins. All of the foods listed above are designed for the animal's that they are named after and not for iguanas and are high in animal proteins. Some iguana farms, breeders and keepers will often feed baby food to young iguanas to speed up their growth, but this method can create very serious health problems later in life and even serve to shorten the overall life of the iguana."

      My Urban Garden projects
      http://urbanwild.diary-x.com
      Items wanted and Thanks [received]
      http://tinyurl.com/3vsuc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2005
        The ideal diet for iguanas is very inexpensive and should contain as the staple of the diet dark leafy greens. To be specific the diet should consist of Collard greens, Turnip greens, Mustard greens, Dandelion greens, and both Mulberry and Hibiscus. The greens that contain the highest calcium and the lowest phosphorous ratio are Collard greens with a calcium to phosphorous ratio of 7-1."

        problem is that of all of these listed items, ONLY collard Greens are available where i live. Thus why I am seeking other resources. I have owned ihguanas for over 25 years. Yet, germany has presented a very definesd set of problems when it comes to procuring MANY what is considered normal food items in the USA.   :-(
        David

      • A. A. Pasternak
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2005
          Hello Galwin,

          This site does give nutritional info on edible plants

          Here is a search of plants that grow in Central Europe

          Here is a search of plants that grow in Western Europe

          Could you buy seeds and plant/grow the other items?

          Al

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
            Many thanks I have found some supplamentals and the other greens are seasonal and I found a place where I can get frozen ones in a pinch.

            Yes, we can grow some things here and have set up a small green house for this this coming year, but here the planting is WELL over as we gte snow by October.

            but I met my required minimum 20 food items, plus treats so we are good to go. I picked up Wedjit today and posted a full report on the geocities, yahoo, iguanaden group site.

            I will certainly be using all of this information over time, so nothing has been wated I can assure you

            Again many thanks fo rthe help.
            David

            Yahoo! Mail
          • ewt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2005
              How are you and your iguana getting on?

              I shouldn't think it would be terribly difficult to come by dandelion
              greens! If you know anyone who grows turnips they may be willing to
              part with the tops, as well.