Re: [pfaf] Need Advice for Laurentians (Rocky, Acidic Soil), Short Growing Season

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2005
      mogiljan skrev:

      >I'm looking for something along the lines of permaculture; in the hope
      >of planting either nut trees (perhaps with artificial shelter to
      >extend the growing season and protect the roots against deep freeze)
      >or use raised beds for gardening (again, a hoop/green-house may be
      >needed).
      >Compost - very necessary, but there's not a lot of excess soil to
      >start with.
      >
      >George (Canada)

      Obviously if ther is beech growing,
      at least three nut trees will make it:
      Pinus cembra, Pinus koraiensis, Pinus sibirica,
      Probably also Corylus avellana , C. colurna, and C. maxima and hybrids,

      if you were situated in Norway (I am) -
      if beech is growing, I would also try Juglans regia, Juglans nigra,
      Castanea dentata,
      here they thrive with approx 120 - 150 days growing season.

      Geir Flatabø
    • George Mogiljansky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005
        Thanks, Geir.

        Unless I'm mistaken, you are near the Gulf Stream and
        the warming effect?

        What about further inland? What is growing there?

        George

        --- Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

        > mogiljan skrev:
        >
        > >I'm looking for something along the lines of
        > permaculture; in the hope
        > >of planting either nut trees (perhaps with
        > artificial shelter to
        > >extend the growing season and protect the roots
        > against deep freeze)
        > >or use raised beds for gardening (again, a
        > hoop/green-house may be
        > >needed).
        > >Compost - very necessary, but there's not a lot of
        > excess soil to
        > >start with.
        > >
        > >George (Canada)
        > >

        > Obviously if ther is beech growing,
        > at least three nut trees will make it:
        > Pinus cembra, Pinus koraiensis, Pinus sibirica,
        > Probably also Corylus avellana , C. colurna, and C.
        > maxima and hybrids,
        >
        > if you were situated in Norway (I am) -
        > if beech is growing, I would also try Juglans
        > regia, Juglans nigra,
        > Castanea dentata,
        > here they thrive with approx 120 - 150 days growing
        > season.
        >
        > Geir Flatabø

        http://www.geocities.com/mogiljan/SustainableFuture.html
        Check out Dr. Williams' Proposal for a Solar Tower
        http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/mogiljan
        To obtain three pdf files (600k) -
        send your Yahoo ID only to download; or I will send via email attachment.

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005
          You are right,
          the gulf effect makes warmer / milder and more rainy winthers , and
          "cooler" summers. Summer temperatures seldom above 25 C, and nearly
          never above 30C, till now this year we have had extremely bad weathers,
          with only two days of temperatures abowe 20C. Winter temperatures might
          go down to -20C, and stay with -10C for a week or more....
          Local climatic factors - as south facing slopes are necessary for the
          more warmth demanding species as Chestnuts, grapes and nectarines, but
          the pines and walnuts and hazelnuts do make it "anywhere" how named
          varieties of hazelnuts would do, I cannot say. - but some old filberts
          and cobnuts do OK.
          The pines are hardy to nearly timberline - 1000 m above sea level and
          beyond polar circle. Hazelnuts have no trouble inland, at least the
          wild types, I have also tried almonds and figs, they survive a few
          years, if protected, but I guess it would be possible to get hardier
          varieties.
          .
          Geir Flatabø