Re: [pfaf] Need Advice for Laurentians (Rocky, Acidic Soil), Short Growing Season

  • Bob Ewing
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
      Greetings, i live in Thunder Bay, Ontario on the edge
      of the Boreal Forest, growing conditions appear to be
      similar to yours. We have grown, jack pine,
      blueberries and beaked hazel (C. cornuta) in close
      proximity and all do well. The jack pine provides the
      acidic soil that blueberries love.

      The beaked hazel thrives here and provides edible
      nuts.

      Bob Ewing

      Permaculture is how we take control over our own lives, meet our individual needs and build our common future. Let Nature be your mentor.
      www.restoretheearth.ca

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • George Mogiljansky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
        Thank you, Bob. I'm just discovering permaculture
        (incl. environmental horticulture).

        I planted three chestnut seedlings in April but they
        didn't take. I'm told the soil was too cold. I also
        didn't harden them enough, I suspect.

        The current property has likely very limited use as a
        growing zone for edibles. There are about four "wild"
        apple trees, raspberries, earth strawberries, a few
        blueberry bushes (the fast growing spruce is
        overtaking them), choke cherry (barely present), and
        the rhubarb has disappeared.

        I will look for a local source of seedlings for beaked
        hazel and jack pine, unless they can be started from
        seed?

        George

        --- Bob Ewing <urbanpermaculture@...> wrote:

        > Greetings, i live in Thunder Bay, Ontario on the
        > edge
        > of the Boreal Forest, growing conditions appear to
        > be
        > similar to yours. We have grown, jack pine,
        > blueberries and beaked hazel (C. cornuta) in close
        > proximity and all do well. The jack pine provides
        > the
        > acidic soil that blueberries love.
        >
        > The beaked hazel thrives here and provides edible
        > nuts.
        >
        > Bob Ewing
        >
        > Permaculture is how we take control over our own
        > lives, meet our individual needs and build our
        > common future. Let Nature be your mentor.
        > www.restoretheearth.ca

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • Bob Ewing
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
          Greetings for jack pine:

          http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/forestry/g380.htm

          and from pfaf database:

          beaked hazel

          Propagation
          Seed - best sown as soon as it is harvested in autumn
          in a cold frame[164]. Germinates in late winter or
          spring. Stored seed should be pre-soaked in warm water
          for 48 hours and then given 2 weeks warm followed by 3
          - 4 months cold stratification[164]. Germinates in 1 -
          6 months at 20°c[164]. When large enough to handle,
          prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow
          them on in a cold frame or sheltered place outdoors
          for their first winter. Plant them out into their
          permanent positions in late spring or early summer[K].

          --- George Mogiljansky <mogiljan@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------

          Thank you, Bob. I'm just discovering permaculture
          (incl. environmental horticulture).

          I planted three chestnut seedlings in April but they
          didn't take. I'm told the soil was too cold. I also
          didn't harden them enough, I suspect.

          April is early , at least here, we plant usually, late
          May or early June.

          I will look for a local source of seedlings for beaked
          hazel and jack pine, unless they can be started from
          seed?

          George

          --- Bob Ewing <urbanpermaculture@...> wrote:

          > Greetings, i live in Thunder Bay, Ontario on the
          > edge
          > of the Boreal Forest, growing conditions appear to
          > be
          > similar to yours. We have grown, jack pine,
          > blueberries and beaked hazel (C. cornuta) in close
          > proximity and all do well. The jack pine provides
          > the
          > acidic soil that blueberries love.
          >
          > The beaked hazel thrives here and provides edible
          > nuts.
          >
          > Bob Ewing
          >
          > Permaculture is how we take control over our own
          > lives, meet our individual needs and build our
          > common future. Let Nature be your mentor.
          > www.restoretheearth.ca

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2005
            mogiljan skrev:

            >I'm looking for something along the lines of permaculture; in the hope
            >of planting either nut trees (perhaps with artificial shelter to
            >extend the growing season and protect the roots against deep freeze)
            >or use raised beds for gardening (again, a hoop/green-house may be
            >needed).
            >Compost - very necessary, but there's not a lot of excess soil to
            >start with.
            >
            >George (Canada)

            Obviously if ther is beech growing,
            at least three nut trees will make it:
            Pinus cembra, Pinus koraiensis, Pinus sibirica,
            Probably also Corylus avellana , C. colurna, and C. maxima and hybrids,

            if you were situated in Norway (I am) -
            if beech is growing, I would also try Juglans regia, Juglans nigra,
            Castanea dentata,
            here they thrive with approx 120 - 150 days growing season.

            Geir Flatabø
          • George Mogiljansky
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005
              Thanks, Geir.

              Unless I'm mistaken, you are near the Gulf Stream and
              the warming effect?

              What about further inland? What is growing there?

              George

              --- Geir Flatabø <geirf@...> wrote:

              > mogiljan skrev:
              >
              > >I'm looking for something along the lines of
              > permaculture; in the hope
              > >of planting either nut trees (perhaps with
              > artificial shelter to
              > >extend the growing season and protect the roots
              > against deep freeze)
              > >or use raised beds for gardening (again, a
              > hoop/green-house may be
              > >needed).
              > >Compost - very necessary, but there's not a lot of
              > excess soil to
              > >start with.
              > >
              > >George (Canada)
              > >

              > Obviously if ther is beech growing,
              > at least three nut trees will make it:
              > Pinus cembra, Pinus koraiensis, Pinus sibirica,
              > Probably also Corylus avellana , C. colurna, and C.
              > maxima and hybrids,
              >
              > if you were situated in Norway (I am) -
              > if beech is growing, I would also try Juglans
              > regia, Juglans nigra,
              > Castanea dentata,
              > here they thrive with approx 120 - 150 days growing
              > season.
              >
              > Geir Flatabø

              http://www.geocities.com/mogiljan/SustainableFuture.html
              Check out Dr. Williams' Proposal for a Solar Tower
              http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/mogiljan
              To obtain three pdf files (600k) -
              send your Yahoo ID only to download; or I will send via email attachment.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 28, 2005
                You are right,
                the gulf effect makes warmer / milder and more rainy winthers , and
                "cooler" summers. Summer temperatures seldom above 25 C, and nearly
                never above 30C, till now this year we have had extremely bad weathers,
                with only two days of temperatures abowe 20C. Winter temperatures might
                go down to -20C, and stay with -10C for a week or more....
                Local climatic factors - as south facing slopes are necessary for the
                more warmth demanding species as Chestnuts, grapes and nectarines, but
                the pines and walnuts and hazelnuts do make it "anywhere" how named
                varieties of hazelnuts would do, I cannot say. - but some old filberts
                and cobnuts do OK.
                The pines are hardy to nearly timberline - 1000 m above sea level and
                beyond polar circle. Hazelnuts have no trouble inland, at least the
                wild types, I have also tried almonds and figs, they survive a few
                years, if protected, but I guess it would be possible to get hardier
                varieties.
                .
                Geir Flatabø