Fwd: [SussexGardenerNewsletter] Botany Photo of the Day

  • Phil Slade
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2005

      Phil Slade <philonmessage@...> wrote:
      To: SussexGardener <SussexGardener@yahoogroups.com>
      CC: SussexGardenerNewsletter <SussexGardenerNewsletter@yahoogroups.com>
      From: Phil Slade <philonmessage@...>
      Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:55:19 +0100 (BST)
      Subject: [SussexGardenerNewsletter] Botany Photo of the Day

      "Botany Photo of the Day is a daily photo weblog run
      by the staff at the University of British Columbia
      Botanical Garden. Its inspiration comes from NASA's
      Astronomy Picture of the Day, but with a few twists on
      their original idea. The garden is using weblog
      software to run the daily management of the images and
      annotations; this has a few advantages. First, it
      allows comments, questions and feedback from you, the
      reader. Second, it allows the garden to syndicate its
      content, offering you an alternative way of viewing
      the content through the magic of XML (see What is RSS?
      and RSS Tools for more information) while also
      offering other web sites the ability to display
      content from the UBC Botanical Garden web site,
      subject to a few licensing conditions.

      Unfortunately, the garden does not have the budget of
      NASA, so it's going to be a test to see if we can
      manage a new photo with commentary every day for 365
      days a year. We're going to try our best, because we
      think it's a worthwhile venture to share the science
      and beauty of the plant world with you. In this age of
      extinction, we believe that it is imperative that
      botanical gardens have a role beyond studying the
      natural world: sharing the knowledge gained and
      advocating appreciation and understanding.

      The idea for Botany Photo of the Day emerged out of a
      technology discussion with Tim Bray and Lauren Wood.
      You can read more about that day and discussion here
      and here."

      Yahoo! Groups Links