Eat runner bean seeds?

  • treaclemine2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
      Greetings,

      (Apologies if this is an inappropriate question).

      Am I right to assume that (dried) runner bean seeds can be eaten
      exactly as red kidney beans e.g. soaked, boiled hard for 10 mins,
      cooked until soft, eaten? Or is there some reason why the varieties
      bred to grow in the UK aren't edible in this form?

      Thanks!
    • Mell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2005
        Runner beans are edible, if there are any "inedible" varieties I sure
        haven't heard of it.
      • ewt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2005
          I agree. I think the reason you don't find dried runner bean seeds
          much is that they are quite yummy eaten when young, but I don't see
          why you couldn't soak and eat the ripened dried seeds.

          Of course, if you're getting them from a seed packet rather than from
          your garden and they aren't organic then you shouldn't eat them
          because the seeds may well have been coated with fungicides and
          pesticides which could do you a lot of harm.

          ewt