OT Help Wanted- Compost Toilet Building Weekend, North Essex

  • quercusrobur2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2002
      Hi all

      Anybody interested in setting up a compost toilet building weekend at
      the Dial
      House Centre for Alternative Globalisation
      http://www.southern.net/southern/band/CRASS/index2.html ?

      After conversations and meetings with the house occupants (gee &
      penny Rimbaud,
      formerly of the band Crass), it's felt that the main limiting factor
      to using the
      place for gatherings of any size or duration (eg, short courses,
      permaculture weekends, etc)is the currently inadequate plumbing
      system!!!

      Therefore it would be very useful to think about ways around this,
      one practical
      answer would be to install compost toilets somewhere on the site in
      order to turn a
      'problem' into a 'solution'- would anybody, preferable including at
      least a couple
      of people who have experience & competence in such an area, be
      interested in taking
      part in a weekend(?) workshop on site, probably early next year
      (spring?)

      The house is near North Weald, Essex, @ 3 miles from Epping Tube
      station (Central
      Line from London)

      Please get in touch with me & I will liase with Dial House...

      Cheers for now

      Graham Burnett
      www.landandliberty.co.uk
      Now available-
      'Permaculture A Beginner's Guide'
      also
      tee shirts- 'Permaculture Manadala'
      &
      'Land Is Liberty- Plant A Seed Today...'

      PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYBODY THAT MAY BE INTERESTED, THANKS!
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2002
        quercusrobur2002 wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > Anybody interested in setting up a compost toilet building weekend at
        > the Dial
        > House Centre for Alternative Globalisation
        > http://www.southern.net/southern/band/CRASS/index2.html ?

        As it happens there are also plans to build one at the pfaf site
        in Cornwall. Help, advice for that much appreciated.

        Personally, I really like the tree bog idea. Here there is a raised
        platform with a enclosed area below. Willows are planted round it
        and these suck up all the nutrients converting it into wood.
        We've three of these at our Devon site which seem to be doing very
        well.

        A big debate on the pros and cons of each is underway here at
        the moment.

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Main Site: Blagdon Cross, Ashwater, Beaworthy, Devon, EX21 5DF, England
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2002
          > As it happens there are also plans to build one at the pfaf site
          > in Cornwall. Help, advice for that much appreciated.
          >
          > Personally, I really like the tree bog idea. Here there is a raised
          > platform with a enclosed area below. Willows are planted round it
          > and these suck up all the nutrients converting it into wood.
          > We've three of these at our Devon site which seem to be doing very
          > well.
          >
          > A big debate on the pros and cons of each is underway here at
          > the moment.

          Hi rich-

          It would be great if you could feed back the outcomes of your
          discussions, also any sources of designs for various types of compost
          loos etc...

          Do you know if the CAT book on compost loos includes designs that can
          be easily followed for woodworking skills-devoid lunkheads like
          myself??

          cheers Graham