edible tree leaves

  • mikeandgem
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14 12:28 PM
      can anyone point me towards a list of edible tree and shrub leaves?
      the only thing lush and green on my land at the moment is almond tree
      leaves, and i´m wondering if i can put them in a salad or stir fry.
      i know tilia and crataegus leaves are ok to eat, but that´s all i know.
      thankyou,
      gemma
    • Liz Turner
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15 8:49 AM
        Hi Gemma
        You can also eat beech leaves - the very young tender ones, bramble shoot tips, gorse flowers (now almost past their best in Devon). Check out our website www.treesforhealth.org - there's not a list of tree leaves but its on the subject of eating tree leaves, flowers, berries etc.
        cheers
        Liz

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15 6:09 PM
          Liz, I was most pleased to visit your website through your post below.  It was most informative and interesting to observe someone else seeking to preserve knowledge about the plants around us.  If anyone wants to learn more about the elder tree, you can visit my Wild Food Foragers website at www.wildfoodforagers.org/elderbry.htm Our family looks forward to harvesting the flowers in July and the berries in August where we live in south Louisiana.

          Standing "knee deep in abundance",
          The Weed Lady

          Message 4 of 4 , May 20 9:57 AM
            In Russia, and probably elsewhere, both oak and blackcurrant leaves
            can be added, for extra flavour, when pickling cucumbers.