Re: [pfaf] Heavy Metals

  • Anna Fraser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hello Andrea,

      Nice to hear about your project. Below this message is a list of some useful plants from
      http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastissues/novdec03/cropping.htm
      You find a very good article on the above link which is worth reading. It mentions sunflowers, Indian mustard, oats, barley, and hops, nettles and dandelions as notable phyto-accumulators.

      There is also a data base of plants used in phyto remediation on
      http://www.phytopet.usask.ca/indPlant.php
      Click on the little downward arrow in the search box and all the plants on which data are avaialable become visible.

      Hope you can find some plants that are useful for your situation.
      Wish you much success with your project.

      Love from Anna

      PLANTS USED IN PHYTO-REMEDIATION

      Plant Common Name

      Botanical name

      Contaminant remediated

      Nodding thistle

      Cardus nutans

      Lead

      Alpine Pennycress

      Thlaspi caerulescens.

      Cadmium and zinc

      Scented geranium

      Pelargonium sp.

      Cadmium, lead and nickel.

      Astragalus bisulcatus

      Selenium

      brake fern

      Pteris vittata

      Arsenic

      Tobacco

      Cadmium and zinc

      Parrot feather weed

      Tnt

      Eurasian water milfoil

      TNT

      Amaranth

      Amaranthus retroflexus

      Radiocesium.

      Berkheya coddii

      Nickel

      Vetiver

      Vetiveria zizanioides

      Petroleum hydrocarbon contamination, lead heavy metals, herbicides and pesticides, mine tailings.

      Tomato

      Bamboo

      Silica

      Sunflower

      Absorbs radioactive materials e.g. caesium strontium and uranium

      Willow

      Hydrocarbon

      Fescue, ryegrass bermuda grass

      Petroleum products

      Water hyacinth

      Lead copper iron and mercury.

      Poplar

      Populus sp

      Pesticides, nitrates, atrazine

      Indian mustard

      Selenium, sulphur, lead chromium, cadmium

      Duckweed

      Explosive waste

      I’m Andrea, I live in Buenos Aires and I actively participate in a  group who working to improve our neighborhood.

      We have achieved that the Government give us a little house with a garden for our activities, but I worry about the location of “the perm cultural garden” because is near a railway, so maybe the soil is contaminated with heavy metals.

      I’ve been searching plants able to clean the soil and I’ve found that the sunflower does but, is there any other plant able to clean the soil? Because we haven’t moved yet and by the time we do that, it’ll be late to sow sunflowers.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
        Thanks Anna, some plants grow perfectly in my region (Buenos Aires- Argentina). Thank you very much

        Andrea

        PS sorry for my english... ;)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Anna Fraser
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005

          Your English is absolutely excellent!  Green leaves and bursting buds to you. Anna
          Thanks Anna, some plants grow perfectly in my region (Buenos Aires- Argentina). Thank you very much

          Andrea

          PS sorry for my english... ;)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
        • Warren Shelley
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
            Andrea and others interested,

            Paul Stamets, located in the Pacific Northwest US, has been perfecting a method of using different fungi to clean up and convert toxic waste and has increadable results.

            Here's his contact info:

            Paul Staments

            PO Box 7634 * Olympia, WA 98507 * USA
            Phone: (800) 780 9126 / (360) 426 9292
            Fax: (360) 426 9377
            Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm Pacific Time

            Hope this info helps,

            Warren Shelley (Washington State, USA) wildgrower@.../RedDragonFarm@...

            Drakaika <drakaika@...> wrote:
            Hi,

            I�m Andrea, I live in Buenos Aires and I actively participate in a  group who working to improve our neighborhood.

            We have achieved that the Government give us a little house with a garden for our activities, but I worry about the location of �the perm cultural garden� because is near a railway, so maybe the soil is contaminated with heavy metals.

            I�ve been searching plants able to clean the soil and I�ve found that the sunflower does but, is there any other plant able to clean the soil? Because we haven�t moved yet and by the time we do that, it�ll be late to sow sunflowers.

            Thanks

            Do you Yahoo!?