Heavy Metals

  • Drakaika
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2005
      Hi,

      I’m Andrea, I live in Buenos Aires and I actively participate in a  group who working to improve our neighborhood.

      We have achieved that the Government give us a little house with a garden for our activities, but I worry about the location of “the perm cultural garden” because is near a railway, so maybe the soil is contaminated with heavy metals.

      I’ve been searching plants able to clean the soil and I’ve found that the sunflower does but, is there any other plant able to clean the soil? Because we haven’t moved yet and by the time we do that, it’ll be late to sow sunflowers.

      Thanks
    • Anna Fraser
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2005
        Hello Andrea,

        Nice to hear about your project. Below this message is a list of some useful plants from
        http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastissues/novdec03/cropping.htm
        You find a very good article on the above link which is worth reading. It mentions sunflowers, Indian mustard, oats, barley, and hops, nettles and dandelions as notable phyto-accumulators.

        There is also a data base of plants used in phyto remediation on
        http://www.phytopet.usask.ca/indPlant.php
        Click on the little downward arrow in the search box and all the plants on which data are avaialable become visible.

        Hope you can find some plants that are useful for your situation.
        Wish you much success with your project.

        Love from Anna

        PLANTS USED IN PHYTO-REMEDIATION

        Plant Common Name

        Botanical name

        Contaminant remediated

        Nodding thistle

        Cardus nutans

        Lead

        Alpine Pennycress

        Thlaspi caerulescens.

        Cadmium and zinc

        Scented geranium

        Pelargonium sp.

        Cadmium, lead and nickel.

        Astragalus bisulcatus

        Selenium

        brake fern

        Pteris vittata

        Arsenic

        Tobacco

        Cadmium and zinc

        Parrot feather weed

        Tnt

        Eurasian water milfoil

        TNT

        Amaranth

        Amaranthus retroflexus

        Radiocesium.

        Berkheya coddii

        Nickel

        Vetiver

        Vetiveria zizanioides

        Petroleum hydrocarbon contamination, lead heavy metals, herbicides and pesticides, mine tailings.

        Tomato

        Bamboo

        Silica

        Sunflower

        Absorbs radioactive materials e.g. caesium strontium and uranium

        Willow

        Hydrocarbon

        Fescue, ryegrass bermuda grass

        Petroleum products

        Water hyacinth

        Lead copper iron and mercury.

        Poplar

        Populus sp

        Pesticides, nitrates, atrazine

        Indian mustard

        Selenium, sulphur, lead chromium, cadmium

        Duckweed

        Explosive waste

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2005
          Thanks Anna, some plants grow perfectly in my region (Buenos Aires- Argentina). Thank you very much

          Andrea

          PS sorry for my english... ;)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Anna Fraser
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 7:53 AM

            Your English is absolutely excellent!  Green leaves and bursting buds to you. Anna
            Thanks Anna, some plants grow perfectly in my region (Buenos Aires- Argentina). Thank you very much

            Andrea

            PS sorry for my english... ;)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
          • Warren Shelley
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4 10:09 PM
              Andrea and others interested,

              Paul Stamets, located in the Pacific Northwest US, has been perfecting a method of using different fungi to clean up and convert toxic waste and has increadable results.

              Here's his contact info:

              Paul Staments

              PO Box 7634 * Olympia, WA 98507 * USA
              Phone: (800) 780 9126 / (360) 426 9292
              Fax: (360) 426 9377
              Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm Pacific Time

              Hope this info helps,

              Warren Shelley (Washington State, USA) wildgrower@.../RedDragonFarm@...

              Drakaika <drakaika@...> wrote:
              Hi,

              I�m Andrea, I live in Buenos Aires and I actively participate in a  group who working to improve our neighborhood.

              We have achieved that the Government give us a little house with a garden for our activities, but I worry about the location of �the perm cultural garden� because is near a railway, so maybe the soil is contaminated with heavy metals.

              I�ve been searching plants able to clean the soil and I�ve found that the sunflower does but, is there any other plant able to clean the soil? Because we haven�t moved yet and by the time we do that, it�ll be late to sow sunflowers.

              Thanks

              Do you Yahoo!?