[Fwd: [permaculture_uk] WILDLANDS NETWORK]

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2005
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [permaculture_uk] WILDLANDS NETWORK
      Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:01:14 -0000
      From: Mark Fisher <mn.fisher@...>
      To: Permaculture_UK <permaculture_uk@...>

      This is notice for the first meeting of the newly forming WILDLAND NETWORK.
      Cheers, Mark

      ---------------------------
      The WILDLAND NETWORK is forming to give a voice to wild land values in
      Britain. It brings people together to promote and explore the environmental
      and human potential of wild land with new approaches that go beyond nature
      conservation.

      Fifty years of statutory nature conservation in Britain have preserved
      native species and prevented loss of habitats. Our sympathetic management
      has retained refuges of each of the characteristic landscape communities, so
      that we continue to enjoy the pleasures of seeing and studying interesting
      animals and plants. Assured of their survival, we can now look forward to a
      time when those species leap the confines of their refuge and bring a wider
      return of nature.

      Nature responds to our touch. We live with the knowledge that thousands of
      years of land stewardship in Britain have shaped everything that we see. We
      can never be sure how natural or wild our refuges are, nor any of our
      landscapes. Although we cannot turn back the clock, we can explore how
      nature would order itself if given freer expression.

      Many local projects and initiatives throughout Britain have taken on these
      wild land values. They have confidence in giving nature a chance to reshape
      our landscapes. As experience and enthusiasm for wild land grows, we
      recognise that there are more and more areas that have the capability to
      re-wild. The WILDLAND NETWORK will explore the potential for these major new
      areas of re-wilding, supporting the efforts needed to bring them in to
      being. The vision for wildland in the next century could then be a series of
      wild areas connected by corridors that stretch the length and breadth of
      Britain.

      WILDLAND IN BRITAIN - THE NEW POTENTIAL
      A review of progress on achieving wilder landscapes

      9th May 2005, School of Geography, University of Leeds

      This one day meeting will bring practitioners together to discuss:
      - the opportunities for achieving wild land.
      - how wild land is being identified and mapped.
      - the challenge of reintroductions.
      - the values behind wild land projects.
      - the benefits and potential of wild land for people and the environment.

      The event will include:
      - Presentations and facilitated workshops.
      - Launch of a new book from Earthscan and BANC, by Peter Taylor: 'Beyond
      Conservation - a Wildland Strategy'.
      - A lunch time market place with information on projects and research.
      - Setting up of the new Wildland Network, for practitioners involved in
      promoting and achieving wild land.

      This event is all about getting the network up and running - so please come
      prepared to offer ideas and play your part in this voluntary network.

      AGENDA

      10:30 - 11:00 Delegate arrival, registration, coffee

      11:00 - 12:30 Morning session:
      - Introduction to WN
      - Peter Taylor: 'Beyond Conservation - a Wildland Strategy' book launch
      - Mapping initiatives
      - (Re)wilding and re-introductions
      - Economic benefits and Wild Britain
      - Questions

      12:30 - 13:30 Buffet lunch (chance to inspect posters, network, etc.)

      13:30 - 14:40 Discussion groups/themes
      - Mapping
      - Economic benefits
      - Re-introductions
      - Rewilding projects

      14:40 - 15:00 Tea

      15:00 - 16:30 Plenary discussion on future directions

      16:30 Departure

      REGISTRATION

      All inquiries and registrations to Steve Carver at the following address.
      The registration fee is £20 (£10 concessions). Cheques made payable to "The
      University of Leeds". numbers are strictly limited to 80 delegates on a
      first come - first served basis

      Contact details:
      Dr Steve Carver
      School of Geography
      University of Leeds
      Leeds
      West Yorkshire
      LS2 9JT
      Tel: 0113 3433318
      Mob: 07866 042352
      Fax: 0113 3433308
      Email: S.J.Carver@...

      Further details are online at: www.wildland-network.org.uk (but wait a
      couple of days as teething problems being sorted)