Re: Dublin Bay seaweed (..was 'Any foragers in Ireland...')

  • sonnicat
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21, 2005
      Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
      However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
      from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
      especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
      source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
      you go for it; here's one hit I found:
      www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
      which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!
    • David Collins
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 22, 2005
        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

        > Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
        > However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
        > from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
        > especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
        > source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
        > you go for it; here's one hit I found:
        > www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
        > which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!

        Hi,
        Yes, someone (offlist) has pointed out the same problem to me since my
        probably should have occured to me already though. I guess my
        seaweed-tasting will have to wait until my next visit to the Atlantic
        coast!
        Thanks
        David