Dublin Bay seaweed (..was 'Any foragers in Ireland...')

  • David Collins
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 20, 2005
      Hi,
      Lovely to receive such a nice response. I have also been considering
      seaweed - because yes, Dublin is right on the coast. I am a bit
      concerned about the quality of the water however, because, although a
      'state-of-the-art' sewage-treatment plant is treating the sewage of
      approximately a million people on it's way to the sea, and although
      the water which finally enters the sea is allegedly blue-flaggable,
      this treatment-plant-upgrade is relatively recent, and, to the best of
      my knowledge, it wasn't so long ago (within the last few years) that
      raw sewage was being pumped into Dublin Bay.

      So, can anyone offer an opinion as to whether or not the seaweed
      washed up on our shore (Dublin Bay) is safe to eat (after a thorough
      rinsing/washing of course)? I've read that seaweed is highly
      nutritious, and it's crunchy, naturally-salty flavour makes it very
      tasty in my opinion. 'Dublin Bay prawns' (and I suspect other marine
      creatures) are still available in restaurants to the best of my
      knowledge, which suggests to me that this wonderful 'seaweed' might be
      safe to eat after all - at least I hope it is!!

      Any ideas?

      Thanks
      and best regards,
      David

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

      > Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
      > interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
      > other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
      > Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
      > If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
      > but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
      > here.
      > Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
      > beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
      > cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
      > before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
      > the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
      > you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
      > Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
      > whittingstall.
      > Good luck!
    • sonnicat
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2005
        Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
        However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
        from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
        especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
        source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
        you go for it; here's one hit I found:
        www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
        which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!
      • David Collins
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 22, 2005
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

          > Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
          > However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
          > from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
          > especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
          > source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
          > you go for it; here's one hit I found:
          > www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
          > which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!

          Hi,
          Yes, someone (offlist) has pointed out the same problem to me since my
          probably should have occured to me already though. I guess my
          seaweed-tasting will have to wait until my next visit to the Atlantic
          coast!
          Thanks
          David