We would like to co-operate in Finland

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2005
      I though this would be of interest to some on the list.

      Rich

      Greetings from Finland,

      This is a contact for co-operation on seed harvest and hardiness studies
      on interesting plants.

      Your website has been very inspiring source of information for a long time.
      For several years we have been studying forest gardening and how to run
      seed harvest and propagation activities, with hard effort and are slowly
      developing into a birth of practical, functioning context.

      We have been learning on native edible plants, forest mushrooms and winter
      hardy species from other regions that could yield something here.
      Inspiration comes from localizing organic vegan culture into Finland.

      Our garden at Katajamaki (Juniper Hill Community) is a small developing
      forest garden. We have at the moment for planting (propagated from seed)
      some basic species. These include hippophae rhamnoides, pinus cembra
      sibirica, amalanchier sp. with big berries, Malus domestica (seedgrown
      from at least 50 year old northern mothers), ribes uva-crispa, r. nigrum,
      r. rubrum and rosa rugosa, Prunus domestica and P. cerasus. There's also
      some lonicera (kamtchatica?) growing.

      In spring we are waiting for sprouting of Aronia mitchurini, Caragana
      arborescensis, more Pinus cembra sibirica, Coryllis avellana, Pyrus
      communis (seeds from southern finland), Prunus spinosa, ribes uva-crispa,
      rubus allegheniensis and crataegus sp. not able to identify, quite mild
      and tasty.

      We have also found out older Juglans ailanthifolia growing in some
      arboretums. There are some very interesting arboretums in Finland, some of
      them distributing seeds too and that's one thing we're into studying more.

      So that's about our trees and shrubs at the moment, but we are keen to
      grow in diversity. Besides them we grow some basic perennials for salads,
      harvest a lot of wild vegetables, juice wild rushes and grass, grow some
      ordinary vegetables in mulch beds and basic herbs for tea and medicine.
      Main salads grown are malva moschata, agastache foenicum, plantago
      lanceoleta and several allium sp.. We also do grow buckwheat, hemp,
      sunflower, poppy, broad beans, rye and clover. Also lentils have
      succeeded. Main root vegetables are Jerusalem artichoke, potato, swidden
      turnip, parsnip, red beat and carrot.
      Main interest to study more perennials.

      Researching edible native species is close to our hearts and we have a lot
      of written information on them from the past and quite a lot of clean
      natural resources (even though a lot has been devastated). So if there are
      any species in Fennoscandia you don't yet have and are interested in we
      will gladly help.

      We have also contact to a village high at himalaya and we are planning
      studies on the frost tolerant species they have native. The village is in
      contact with the Ecological Democracy -network. We also meet quite many
      ecologically oriented travellers here and try to encourage them to focus
      on the seeds of plants in the future . . .

      Well, this is for the start, even though there might be more things we're
      doing to discuss in detail. At the moment we have special interest in
      species Eleagnus, Shepherdia, Morus nigra, Cephalotaxus sp., Rhus sp.,
      Camassia Quamash, Dioscorea batatas, Hemerocallis fulva, Amphicarpaea
      bracteata, Actinidia kolomicta.

      Well, I tried to write in short. Hope to hear your thoughts.

      Love (a)nd vitality,

      Orava Ituparta,
      via von-fi@...

      representing
      Juniper Hill community
      and Co-operative Forest Gardens at Berryslope.

      ps. why did the university remove your website ?