Re: [pfaf] Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
      Good Question.

      I'd suggest it calls on the laws about conservation of energy. Deep
      Ocean water will be very dense due to the extra pressue of all the water
      above. Try lifting a volume of this dense compressed water to the
      surface and it will get heavy, i.e. the effort required to raise the
      object to the surface will offset any energy stored within the object of
      water once it reached the surface. I'm only voicing my gutt feeling, i
      could be way off the mark.

      FYI: Scientists are experimenting from making electricity using special
      fuel cells which feed on decaying organic matter. The possibilities are
      endless.

      http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/newsroom/pr.cfm?ni=49
      http://www.isa.org/InTechTemplate.cfm?Section=InTech&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=37562

      Did anyone see Horizon on BBC2 last night? It confirmed again that we
      must do something soon, very soon. 15 to 20 years and it will be too
      late to stop climate change.

      How do we open the eyes of people who are blind?

      Phil Slade wrote:

      >Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water ! ???
      >
      >Can this be done ?
      >
      >Recently we were listening to a B.B.C. Radio 4 programme on William Beebe
      >and his explorations below sea with a bathysphere, circa 1934.....
      >
      >( The Adventures of Beebe and the Bathysphere, 9.00pm, 27/12/04 )
      >
      >Part of the programme described how during the unmanned testing of the
      >bathysphere it was hauled up to the surface full of water, the pressure from
      >which blew out one of the bolts that held the entrance hatch closed.
      >
      >Could this pressurised water be collected and put to use ?
      > Perhaps it has already been tried ?
      >Perhaps it's not a viable proposition ?
      >
      >I am no scientist, so I may be missing a basic piece of knowledge that would
      >put this beyond the bounds of possibility.
      >
      >Any comments welcomed, and please forward this question to any
      >Scientist/Engineer you may know.
      >
      >http://hometown.aol.com/chines6930/mw1/beebe1.htm
      >
      >http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ocean_planet_book_beebe1.html
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hilary Robinson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
        Surely the energy needed to haul the bathysphere up to the surface would be
        as great as anything you could "harvest" from the pressurised water???
        Regards, Hilary

        >From: "Phil Slade" <phil-slade@...>
        >To: "SCIP" <scip-discussion@yahoogroups.com>
        >CC: "Ben & Kate" <info@...>,"BHOGG"
        ><bhoggroup@...>,"Dick Churcher"
        ><churcher@...>,<planthealth@yahoogroups.com>,<pfaf@yahoogroups.com>,<harbourmaster@...>,"GardeningSussex-UK"
        ><GardeningSussex-UK@yahoogroups.com>,"GardeningBrightonandHove"
        ><GardeningBrightonandHove@yahoogroups.com>,"SussexGardener"
        ><SussexGardener@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [pfaf] Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water
        >Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:41:32 -0000
        >
        >Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water ! ???
        >
        >Can this be done ?
        >
        >Recently we were listening to a B.B.C. Radio 4 programme on William Beebe
        >and his explorations below sea with a bathysphere, circa 1934.....
        >
        >( The Adventures of Beebe and the Bathysphere, 9.00pm, 27/12/04 )
        >
        >Part of the programme described how during the unmanned testing of the
        >bathysphere it was hauled up to the surface full of water, the pressure
        >from
        >which blew out one of the bolts that held the entrance hatch closed.
        >
        >Could this pressurised water be collected and put to use ?
        > Perhaps it has already been tried ?
        >Perhaps it's not a viable proposition ?
        >
        >I am no scientist, so I may be missing a basic piece of knowledge that
        >would
        >put this beyond the bounds of possibility.
        >
        >Any comments welcomed, and please forward this question to any
        >Scientist/Engineer you may know.
        >
        >http://hometown.aol.com/chines6930/mw1/beebe1.htm
        >
        >http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ocean_planet_book_beebe1.html

      • Richard Morris
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2005
          Hilary Robinson wrote:

          > Surely the energy needed to haul the bathysphere up to the surface
          would be
          > as great as anything you could "harvest" from the pressurised water???
          > Regards, Hilary

          Not sure, its posible that the stored energy might be greater than
          energy needed to move the water. Anyway I'd but this in the relm of
          big science, typical of the larger scale projects and big "dam" type
          ideas. Not really good permaculture, or anything to do with plants!
        • Brian R. Russell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2005
            I have heard of two different ways of harvesting energy from a
            standing body of water. Only one of these requires really deep water. Both
            methods involve a hollow pipe positioned vertically with one end above the
            surface of the water and one end underwater.

            Under one scenario, if the pipe is a minimum length, maybe a
            kilometer I don't remember now, if you briefly pump water to the surface,
            very quickly the water starts flowing upward because the atmospheric
            pressure at sea level is much less than the deep water pressure. I don't
            have the reference handy but I remember reading about this in a book about
            the Austrian naturalist Viktor Schauberger.

            The second method relies on the wave motion at the surface. Under
            this scenario you get regular pulses of water coming up through the tube, if
            I recall correctly, during the wave troff at the surface.

            Under both scenarios one could presumably construct a basin to catch
            the water as it falls from the top of the tube and run it past a turbine or
            paddle wheel.

            I don't personally know if either these methods would work. But one
            of them did, one could construct a floating greenhouse equipped with one of
            these pipes (shall we call them inverted hydro-electric damns?). In the
            greenhouse we could grow perennial fruit and vegetables and use seaweed for
            compost. This not only serves as an appropriate application for the
            technology but brings this thread back on topic as well.

            > > Surely the energy needed to haul the bathysphere up to the surface
            > would be
            > > as great as anything you could "harvest" from the pressurised water???
            > > Regards, Hilary
            >
            > Not sure, its posible that the stored energy might be greater than
            > energy needed to move the water. Anyway I'd but this in the relm of
            > big science, typical of the larger scale projects and big "dam" type
            > ideas. Not really good permaculture, or anything to do with plants!
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Martin Naylor
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2005
              hi
              if you have a question try  www.madscientist.com check spelling of scientest, they have heaps of speacailist in heaps of diferent feilds, i should have listned to speling teacher at school instead of the classs clown, i had a good time though, i was wondering we where luaghing once and the teacher said someone can't make you laugh we looked at each other and laughed, which isn't true, so why would a teacher lie to a child i heard of two guys getting sacked for laughing, this is no joking matter what part does laughter play in memory techniques, sorry wrong group, this for wwbc@yahoogroups.com so i'll send to both, apoligies for cross emailing
              martin