Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water

  • Phil Slade
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
      Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water ! ???

      Can this be done ?

      Recently we were listening to a B.B.C. Radio 4 programme on William Beebe
      and his explorations below sea with a bathysphere, circa 1934.....

      ( The Adventures of Beebe and the Bathysphere, 9.00pm, 27/12/04 )

      Part of the programme described how during the unmanned testing of the
      bathysphere it was hauled up to the surface full of water, the pressure from
      which blew out one of the bolts that held the entrance hatch closed.

      Could this pressurised water be collected and put to use ?
      Perhaps it has already been tried ?
      Perhaps it's not a viable proposition ?

      I am no scientist, so I may be missing a basic piece of knowledge that would
      put this beyond the bounds of possibility.

      Any comments welcomed, and please forward this question to any
      Scientist/Engineer you may know.

      http://hometown.aol.com/chines6930/mw1/beebe1.htm

      http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ocean_planet_book_beebe1.html
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
        Good Question.

        I'd suggest it calls on the laws about conservation of energy. Deep
        Ocean water will be very dense due to the extra pressue of all the water
        above. Try lifting a volume of this dense compressed water to the
        surface and it will get heavy, i.e. the effort required to raise the
        object to the surface will offset any energy stored within the object of
        water once it reached the surface. I'm only voicing my gutt feeling, i
        could be way off the mark.

        FYI: Scientists are experimenting from making electricity using special
        fuel cells which feed on decaying organic matter. The possibilities are
        endless.

        http://www.nsf.gov/od/lpa/newsroom/pr.cfm?ni=49
        http://www.isa.org/InTechTemplate.cfm?Section=InTech&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=37562

        Did anyone see Horizon on BBC2 last night? It confirmed again that we
        must do something soon, very soon. 15 to 20 years and it will be too
        late to stop climate change.

        How do we open the eyes of people who are blind?

        Phil Slade wrote:

        >Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water ! ???
        >
        >Can this be done ?
        >
        >Recently we were listening to a B.B.C. Radio 4 programme on William Beebe
        >and his explorations below sea with a bathysphere, circa 1934.....
        >
        >( The Adventures of Beebe and the Bathysphere, 9.00pm, 27/12/04 )
        >
        >Part of the programme described how during the unmanned testing of the
        >bathysphere it was hauled up to the surface full of water, the pressure from
        >which blew out one of the bolts that held the entrance hatch closed.
        >
        >Could this pressurised water be collected and put to use ?
        > Perhaps it has already been tried ?
        >Perhaps it's not a viable proposition ?
        >
        >I am no scientist, so I may be missing a basic piece of knowledge that would
        >put this beyond the bounds of possibility.
        >
        >Any comments welcomed, and please forward this question to any
        >Scientist/Engineer you may know.
        >
        >http://hometown.aol.com/chines6930/mw1/beebe1.htm
        >
        >http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ocean_planet_book_beebe1.html
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Hilary Robinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2005
          Surely the energy needed to haul the bathysphere up to the surface would be
          as great as anything you could "harvest" from the pressurised water???
          Regards, Hilary

          >From: "Phil Slade" <phil-slade@...>
          >To: "SCIP" <scip-discussion@yahoogroups.com>
          >CC: "Ben & Kate" <info@...>,"BHOGG"
          ><bhoggroup@...>,"Dick Churcher"
          ><churcher@...>,<planthealth@yahoogroups.com>,<pfaf@yahoogroups.com>,<harbourmaster@...>,"GardeningSussex-UK"
          ><GardeningSussex-UK@yahoogroups.com>,"GardeningBrightonandHove"
          ><GardeningBrightonandHove@yahoogroups.com>,"SussexGardener"
          ><SussexGardener@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [pfaf] Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water
          >Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:41:32 -0000
          >
          >Harvesting Energy from Highly Compressed Deep Ocean Water ! ???
          >
          >Can this be done ?
          >
          >Recently we were listening to a B.B.C. Radio 4 programme on William Beebe
          >and his explorations below sea with a bathysphere, circa 1934.....
          >
          >( The Adventures of Beebe and the Bathysphere, 9.00pm, 27/12/04 )
          >
          >Part of the programme described how during the unmanned testing of the
          >bathysphere it was hauled up to the surface full of water, the pressure
          >from
          >which blew out one of the bolts that held the entrance hatch closed.
          >
          >Could this pressurised water be collected and put to use ?
          > Perhaps it has already been tried ?
          >Perhaps it's not a viable proposition ?
          >
          >I am no scientist, so I may be missing a basic piece of knowledge that
          >would
          >put this beyond the bounds of possibility.
          >
          >Any comments welcomed, and please forward this question to any
          >Scientist/Engineer you may know.
          >
          >http://hometown.aol.com/chines6930/mw1/beebe1.htm
          >
          >http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ocean_planet_book_beebe1.html

        • Richard Morris
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 15, 2005
            Hilary Robinson wrote:

            > Surely the energy needed to haul the bathysphere up to the surface
            would be
            > as great as anything you could "harvest" from the pressurised water???
            > Regards, Hilary

            Not sure, its posible that the stored energy might be greater than
            energy needed to move the water. Anyway I'd but this in the relm of
            big science, typical of the larger scale projects and big "dam" type
            ideas. Not really good permaculture, or anything to do with plants!
          • Brian R. Russell
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 15, 2005
              I have heard of two different ways of harvesting energy from a
              standing body of water. Only one of these requires really deep water. Both
              methods involve a hollow pipe positioned vertically with one end above the
              surface of the water and one end underwater.

              Under one scenario, if the pipe is a minimum length, maybe a
              kilometer I don't remember now, if you briefly pump water to the surface,
              very quickly the water starts flowing upward because the atmospheric
              pressure at sea level is much less than the deep water pressure. I don't
              have the reference handy but I remember reading about this in a book about
              the Austrian naturalist Viktor Schauberger.

              The second method relies on the wave motion at the surface. Under
              this scenario you get regular pulses of water coming up through the tube, if
              I recall correctly, during the wave troff at the surface.

              Under both scenarios one could presumably construct a basin to catch
              the water as it falls from the top of the tube and run it past a turbine or
              paddle wheel.

              I don't personally know if either these methods would work. But one
              of them did, one could construct a floating greenhouse equipped with one of
              these pipes (shall we call them inverted hydro-electric damns?). In the
              greenhouse we could grow perennial fruit and vegetables and use seaweed for
              compost. This not only serves as an appropriate application for the
              technology but brings this thread back on topic as well.

              > > Surely the energy needed to haul the bathysphere up to the surface
              > would be
              > > as great as anything you could "harvest" from the pressurised water???
              > > Regards, Hilary
              >
              > Not sure, its posible that the stored energy might be greater than
              > energy needed to move the water. Anyway I'd but this in the relm of
              > big science, typical of the larger scale projects and big "dam" type
              > ideas. Not really good permaculture, or anything to do with plants!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Martin Naylor
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2005
                hi
                if you have a question try  www.madscientist.com check spelling of scientest, they have heaps of speacailist in heaps of diferent feilds, i should have listned to speling teacher at school instead of the classs clown, i had a good time though, i was wondering we where luaghing once and the teacher said someone can't make you laugh we looked at each other and laughed, which isn't true, so why would a teacher lie to a child i heard of two guys getting sacked for laughing, this is no joking matter what part does laughter play in memory techniques, sorry wrong group, this for wwbc@yahoogroups.com so i'll send to both, apoligies for cross emailing
                martin