Re: [pfaf] Re: Any foragers in Ireland (Dublin preferably)?

  • Martin Naylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
      hi
      try raw fooders, as well on net
      martin

      David Collins <davidcollins78@...> wrote:

      Hi Martin, I'll look into it. Thanks

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@y...> wrote:
      > hi
      > there must be a permaculture group there surly, why not star one up,
      talk to the old people the women will remember herbs in the area and
      the men will remember organic ways [they wouldnt be able to buy
      chemicals, and may be planting and harvesting by the moon,
      > martin [from the land down under]

    • sonnicat
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2005
        Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
        interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
        other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
        Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
        If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
        but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
        here.
        Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
        beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
        cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
        before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
        the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
        you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
        Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
        whittingstall.
        Good luck!
      • David Collins
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 20, 2005
          Hi,
          Lovely to receive such a nice response. I have also been considering
          seaweed - because yes, Dublin is right on the coast. I am a bit
          concerned about the quality of the water however, because, although a
          'state-of-the-art' sewage-treatment plant is treating the sewage of
          approximately a million people on it's way to the sea, and although
          the water which finally enters the sea is allegedly blue-flaggable,
          this treatment-plant-upgrade is relatively recent, and, to the best of
          my knowledge, it wasn't so long ago (within the last few years) that
          raw sewage was being pumped into Dublin Bay.

          So, can anyone offer an opinion as to whether or not the seaweed
          washed up on our shore (Dublin Bay) is safe to eat (after a thorough
          rinsing/washing of course)? I've read that seaweed is highly
          nutritious, and it's crunchy, naturally-salty flavour makes it very
          tasty in my opinion. 'Dublin Bay prawns' (and I suspect other marine
          creatures) are still available in restaurants to the best of my
          knowledge, which suggests to me that this wonderful 'seaweed' might be
          safe to eat after all - at least I hope it is!!

          Any ideas?

          Thanks
          and best regards,
          David

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

          > Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
          > interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
          > other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
          > Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
          > If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
          > but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
          > here.
          > Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
          > beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
          > cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
          > before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
          > the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
          > you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
          > Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
          > whittingstall.
          > Good luck!
        • sonnicat
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 21, 2005
            Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
            However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
            from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
            especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
            source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
            you go for it; here's one hit I found:
            www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
            which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!
          • David Collins
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22, 2005
              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

              > Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
              > However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
              > from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
              > especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
              > source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
              > you go for it; here's one hit I found:
              > www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
              > which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!

              Hi,
              Yes, someone (offlist) has pointed out the same problem to me since my
              probably should have occured to me already though. I guess my
              seaweed-tasting will have to wait until my next visit to the Atlantic
              coast!
              Thanks
              David