Re: [pfaf] Any foragers in Ireland (Dublin preferably)?

  • steve stuffit
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
      On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:36:06 -0000
      "David Collins" <davidcollins78@...> wrote:

      > It would be very helpful if someone experienced in plant
      > identification could assist me in my foraging, so if you are
      > interested, please let me know! I have no desire to poison myself.

      i am very interested in this area and have found the following resources to be of use:

      Food for Free by Richard Mabey
      Edible plants by pamela forey and Cecilia Fitzsimons

      and

      http://www.naturali.co.uk/wild-food-foraging.html
      good luck!
      ste
    • Martin Naylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
        hi
        there must be a permaculture group there surly, why not star one up, talk to the old people the women will remember herbs in the area and the men will remember organic ways [they wouldnt be able to buy chemicals, and may be planting and harvesting by the moon,
        martin [from the land down under]

        David Collins <davidcollins78@...> wrote:

        Hi,
        Being a city dweller, and having very little space to grow my own
        plants, I have become interested lately in the idea of using wild
        plants (for all sorts of uses, but food primarily). There are a number
        of parks, and other less-developed areas, within walking distance for me.
        It would be very helpful if someone experienced in plant
        identification could assist me in my foraging, so if you are
        interested, please let me know! I have no desire to poison myself.
        There is little prospect of me actually being able to meet up anywhere
        far from Dublin city (at least on a regular basis), but feel free to
        get in touch anyway - it might be worth the travel distance for
        reliable information, and good company, of course!
        I am prepared to research myself, using books/internet resources etc.
        (I have found 'Plants for a Future' to be a wonderful resource by the
        way), but don't think that taking a two-pronged approach is any harm.
        My apologies if people feel this message is inappropriate for an
        international group.

        Sincerely
        David

      • David Collins
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
          Hi Martin, I'll look into it. Thanks

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
            hi
            try raw fooders, as well on net
            martin

            David Collins <davidcollins78@...> wrote:

            Hi Martin, I'll look into it. Thanks

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@y...> wrote:
            > hi
            > there must be a permaculture group there surly, why not star one up,
            talk to the old people the women will remember herbs in the area and
            the men will remember organic ways [they wouldnt be able to buy
            chemicals, and may be planting and harvesting by the moon,
            > martin [from the land down under]

          • sonnicat
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2005
              Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
              interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
              other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
              Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
              If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
              but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
              here.
              Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
              beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
              cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
              before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
              the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
              you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
              Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
              whittingstall.
              Good luck!
            • David Collins
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 20, 2005
                Hi,
                Lovely to receive such a nice response. I have also been considering
                seaweed - because yes, Dublin is right on the coast. I am a bit
                concerned about the quality of the water however, because, although a
                'state-of-the-art' sewage-treatment plant is treating the sewage of
                approximately a million people on it's way to the sea, and although
                the water which finally enters the sea is allegedly blue-flaggable,
                this treatment-plant-upgrade is relatively recent, and, to the best of
                my knowledge, it wasn't so long ago (within the last few years) that
                raw sewage was being pumped into Dublin Bay.

                So, can anyone offer an opinion as to whether or not the seaweed
                washed up on our shore (Dublin Bay) is safe to eat (after a thorough
                rinsing/washing of course)? I've read that seaweed is highly
                nutritious, and it's crunchy, naturally-salty flavour makes it very
                tasty in my opinion. 'Dublin Bay prawns' (and I suspect other marine
                creatures) are still available in restaurants to the best of my
                knowledge, which suggests to me that this wonderful 'seaweed' might be
                safe to eat after all - at least I hope it is!!

                Any ideas?

                Thanks
                and best regards,
                David

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

                > Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
                > interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
                > other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
                > Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
                > If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
                > but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
                > here.
                > Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
                > beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
                > cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
                > before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
                > the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
                > you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
                > Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
                > whittingstall.
                > Good luck!
              • sonnicat
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 21, 2005
                  Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
                  However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
                  from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
                  especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
                  source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
                  you go for it; here's one hit I found:
                  www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
                  which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!
                • David Collins
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2005
                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

                    > Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
                    > However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
                    > from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
                    > especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
                    > source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
                    > you go for it; here's one hit I found:
                    > www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
                    > which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!

                    Hi,
                    Yes, someone (offlist) has pointed out the same problem to me since my
                    probably should have occured to me already though. I guess my
                    seaweed-tasting will have to wait until my next visit to the Atlantic
                    coast!
                    Thanks
                    David