Any foragers in Ireland (Dublin preferably)?

  • David Collins
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2005
      Hi,
      Being a city dweller, and having very little space to grow my own
      plants, I have become interested lately in the idea of using wild
      plants (for all sorts of uses, but food primarily). There are a number
      of parks, and other less-developed areas, within walking distance for me.
      It would be very helpful if someone experienced in plant
      identification could assist me in my foraging, so if you are
      interested, please let me know! I have no desire to poison myself.
      There is little prospect of me actually being able to meet up anywhere
      far from Dublin city (at least on a regular basis), but feel free to
      get in touch anyway - it might be worth the travel distance for
      reliable information, and good company, of course!
      I am prepared to research myself, using books/internet resources etc.
      (I have found 'Plants for a Future' to be a wonderful resource by the
      way), but don't think that taking a two-pronged approach is any harm.
      My apologies if people feel this message is inappropriate for an
      international group.

      Sincerely
      David
    • steve stuffit
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
        On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:36:06 -0000
        "David Collins" <davidcollins78@...> wrote:

        > It would be very helpful if someone experienced in plant
        > identification could assist me in my foraging, so if you are
        > interested, please let me know! I have no desire to poison myself.

        i am very interested in this area and have found the following resources to be of use:

        Food for Free by Richard Mabey
        Edible plants by pamela forey and Cecilia Fitzsimons

        and

        http://www.naturali.co.uk/wild-food-foraging.html
        good luck!
        ste
      • Martin Naylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2005
          hi
          there must be a permaculture group there surly, why not star one up, talk to the old people the women will remember herbs in the area and the men will remember organic ways [they wouldnt be able to buy chemicals, and may be planting and harvesting by the moon,
          martin [from the land down under]

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
            Hi Martin, I'll look into it. Thanks

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2005
              hi
              try raw fooders, as well on net
              martin

              David Collins <davidcollins78@...> wrote:

              Hi Martin, I'll look into it. Thanks

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@y...> wrote:
              > hi
              > there must be a permaculture group there surly, why not star one up,
              talk to the old people the women will remember herbs in the area and
              the men will remember organic ways [they wouldnt be able to buy
              chemicals, and may be planting and harvesting by the moon,
              > martin [from the land down under]

            • sonnicat
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 18 4:15 AM
                Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
                interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
                other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
                Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
                If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
                but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
                here.
                Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
                beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
                cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
                before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
                the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
                you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
                Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
                whittingstall.
                Good luck!
              • David Collins
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 20 7:46 AM
                  Hi,
                  Lovely to receive such a nice response. I have also been considering
                  seaweed - because yes, Dublin is right on the coast. I am a bit
                  concerned about the quality of the water however, because, although a
                  'state-of-the-art' sewage-treatment plant is treating the sewage of
                  approximately a million people on it's way to the sea, and although
                  the water which finally enters the sea is allegedly blue-flaggable,
                  this treatment-plant-upgrade is relatively recent, and, to the best of
                  my knowledge, it wasn't so long ago (within the last few years) that
                  raw sewage was being pumped into Dublin Bay.

                  So, can anyone offer an opinion as to whether or not the seaweed
                  washed up on our shore (Dublin Bay) is safe to eat (after a thorough
                  rinsing/washing of course)? I've read that seaweed is highly
                  nutritious, and it's crunchy, naturally-salty flavour makes it very
                  tasty in my opinion. 'Dublin Bay prawns' (and I suspect other marine
                  creatures) are still available in restaurants to the best of my
                  knowledge, which suggests to me that this wonderful 'seaweed' might be
                  safe to eat after all - at least I hope it is!!

                  Any ideas?

                  Thanks
                  and best regards,
                  David

                  --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

                  > Hey, I've just joined this group and found your post. I've been
                  > interested in wild foraging for years - join the club! (I'm on the
                  > other side of the Irish Sea in West Wales.)
                  > Google 'wild foraging' and 'wild food' and you'll get lots of hits.
                  > If you want to exlude the numerous US sites specify UK search only
                  > but many of the wild food plants found in America are also found
                  > here.
                  > Right now, if you live near the coast, you may be able to find sea
                  > beet which is possibly my favourite 'greens' of all, including
                  > cultivated. Alexanders, also a coastal plant, is at its best now,
                  > before it flowers. Ramsons or wild garlic is putting out shoots in
                  > the woods. Wild sorrel is easy to find. It goes without saying that
                  > you shouldn't overpick and not at all if the plants are scarce.
                  > Good books on wild food by Roger Phillips and by Hugh Fearnley-
                  > whittingstall.
                  > Good luck!
                • sonnicat
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 21 4:48 AM
                    Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
                    However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
                    from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
                    especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
                    source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
                    you go for it; here's one hit I found:
                    www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
                    which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!
                  • David Collins
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 22 5:00 AM
                      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "sonnicat" <nchroustchoff@h...> wrote:

                      > Seaweed, yes, lovely stuff, here in Wales we eat it as 'laverbread'.
                      > However the danger that you need to be aware of comes not so much
                      > from sewage pollution as from concentration of radioactive isotopes,
                      > especially since Dublin is not far across the water from that prime
                      > source of contamination - Sellafield. Have a look on the Web before
                      > you go for it; here's one hit I found:
                      > www.nci.org/02/01/23-08.htm
                      > which warns of high concentrations on the NE coast of Ireland!

                      Hi,
                      Yes, someone (offlist) has pointed out the same problem to me since my
                      probably should have occured to me already though. I guess my
                      seaweed-tasting will have to wait until my next visit to the Atlantic
                      coast!
                      Thanks
                      David