Chestnuts&Romania

  • Robert Allen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
      For several years I have been growing sweet chestnuts
      in the west of Ireland but I have now moved to east
      Anglia, where I am hoping to set up a forest farm and
      garden (and I would appreciate any leads to an
      existing farm anyone knows of for sale, or land with a
      old farmhouse). I have grown them from seed bought
      variously in Switzerland and Italy. Whether they would
      grow and fruit in Durham, which I believe is subject
      to winds and storms, is something that will have to be
      tried. They can withstand a severe frost, for they
      grow in the temperate climates of northern Switzerland
      and Germany.
      As for Romanian plants I have contacts there and will
      ask.
      Robert Allen
      An Talamh Glas/Bluegreenearth

      =====
      BLUE: http://www.bluegreenearth.com

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Ute Bohnsack
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
        Robert Allen wrote:

        > For several years I have been growing sweet chestnuts
        > in the west of Ireland
        WHAT? Where exactly? I was under the impression they wouldn't fruit here. I know
        they can grow in this region (I'm just south of the Burren, in Kilfenora, Co.
        Clare; not on the limestone, mind you) but haven't seen them fruiting. Please
        let me know, Robert as I'd love to plant some if I knew they'd actually fruit.

        Cheers,
        Ute
      • Robert Allen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2002
          Ute Bohnsack <sustag@...> wrote:
          Please let me know, Robert as I'd love to plant some
          if I knew they'd actually fruit.

          Let me know if you want to try some of the seeds I
          have. I can post some to you. It's a bit late to be
          starting them now but it's worth a try. I'll also try
          and get you the locations of the places where they
          have been planted and fruited, and you can compare
          soil and temperature to your place.

          Robert

          =====