tree planting dates

  • Liz Turner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Dear all
      Happy New Year!

      Please pass this email on far & wide to anyone you think may be interested.

      Please find below dates for tree planting with Trees for Health in early
      2005. These are joint voluntary events with the Community Supported Farming
      Group who
      are helping us by lending tools & providing insurance.

      15-16th January - Wayfield Nurseries, East Portlemouth near Kingsbridge
      22-23 January - Beenleigh Meadows, Harberton, near Totnes
      29-30 January - Wayfield Nurseries, East Portlemouth near Kingsbridge
      5-6 February - Beenleigh Meadows, Harberton, near Totnes
      12-13 February - Wayfield Nurseries, East Portlemouth near Kingsbridge
      19-20 February - Beenleigh Meadows, Harberton, near Totnes
      26-27 February - Wayfield Nurseries, East Portlemouth near Kingsbridge

      Time will be either 11-4 or 10-4 each day.

      So there's a chance to plant trees throughout January & February! Please
      feel free to drop in & help anytime you like but please contact me to say
      you are coming & to get arrangements as the exact details may change as the
      season progresses. The time we take to plant all the trees depends on the
      numbers of volunteers we get! We may set more dates in March if planting is
      not complete but I anticipate that it will be.

      Also I will be co-ordinating transport either by shared car or bus so do not
      be put off if you have transport problems!

      All equipment will be provided including tools and gloves. Please bring
      waterproofs, sturdy footwear, lunch & a drink.

      You will see there are 2 sites, both are which are exciting projects. Near
      Harberton we will be planting 500 trees to create a new small woodland and
      in East Portlemouth we will be planting 1000 trees on a hedge to create
      wildlife habitat and a windbreak. This site is close to the south Devon
      coastal path & there are chances to combine the day with a coastal walk.

      Both projects are a great opportunity to get experience in tree planting,
      woodland
      creation, planting on hedges and learn about the benefits of trees. Trees
      for Health aims to promote the benefits of trees for both the ecology and
      people of an area. We will be researching the use of trees medicinally over
      the next few months ready for an exciting new venture of making remedies in
      the spring.

      The other activity as part of the tree planting at Harberton is to put up a
      fence to
      protect the trees from stock. This is likely to be run as a rural skills
      course with some
      funding provided. So watch this space for more info about learning fencing
      through experience.

      Please also consider joining Trees for Health if you have not yet done so.
      Details of our aims can be found on our website www.treesforhealth.org on
      here also is a membership form to print & return.

      Best wishes
      Liz Turner
      Chair, Trees for Health
      www.treesforhealth.org