Re: [pfaf] Re:

  • Ali YILDIRIM
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2002
      Dear Richard Morris,
      Sweet chestnut is a widely grown winter fruit in Turkey and especially in Bursa which is about 250 km to Istanbul. In that city, 5th biggest city in Turkey, a sort of sweet is made from chestnut and it is very delicious.
      However, perhaps you could purchase this fruit from a local Turkish market and as far as know you may find some of them in Northern London.

      Good luck

      Dr Ali Yıldırım
    • Robert Allen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
        For several years I have been growing sweet chestnuts
        in the west of Ireland but I have now moved to east
        Anglia, where I am hoping to set up a forest farm and
        garden (and I would appreciate any leads to an
        existing farm anyone knows of for sale, or land with a
        old farmhouse). I have grown them from seed bought
        variously in Switzerland and Italy. Whether they would
        grow and fruit in Durham, which I believe is subject
        to winds and storms, is something that will have to be
        tried. They can withstand a severe frost, for they
        grow in the temperate climates of northern Switzerland
        and Germany.
        As for Romanian plants I have contacts there and will
        ask.
        Robert Allen
        An Talamh Glas/Bluegreenearth

        =====
        BLUE: http://www.bluegreenearth.com

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
      • Ute Bohnsack
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
          Robert Allen wrote:

          > For several years I have been growing sweet chestnuts
          > in the west of Ireland
          WHAT? Where exactly? I was under the impression they wouldn't fruit here. I know
          they can grow in this region (I'm just south of the Burren, in Kilfenora, Co.
          Clare; not on the limestone, mind you) but haven't seen them fruiting. Please
          let me know, Robert as I'd love to plant some if I knew they'd actually fruit.

          Cheers,
          Ute
        • Robert Allen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2002
            Ute Bohnsack <sustag@...> wrote:
            Please let me know, Robert as I'd love to plant some
            if I knew they'd actually fruit.

            Let me know if you want to try some of the seeds I
            have. I can post some to you. It's a bit late to be
            starting them now but it's worth a try. I'll also try
            and get you the locations of the places where they
            have been planted and fruited, and you can compare
            soil and temperature to your place.

            Robert

            =====