Re: [pfaf] acorn oil

  • Shannon Meeker
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
      Re: [pfaf] acorn oil

      Acorns are the seeds of oak  and tanoak trees.  Different species vary in edibility.  Many if not all, need to be leached prior to eating.
      Shannon

      Please explain what is acorns?
      Ben

      --

      http://www.fivegallonbucket.net

      DIY & Reconstructed kids, women's, & plus size clothing with Spirit!
    • steve stuffit
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2004
        On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:10:25 +0200
        "Ben Safronovitz" <propolis@...> wrote:

        > Please explain what is acorns?
        > Ben

        acorns are the fruits fmor oak trees. for more see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn

        i've never heard of them being used for oil, apparently the red/blavk oak has more oil than the white. good luck
        ste

      • Liz Turner
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2004
          A good recipe for coffee (its not at all bitter):

          Collect a pile of acorns that have no holes and are not rotten!

          Boil them for 15 minutes. This reduces the bitterness and makes them fairly easy to peel. Remove the shell. Blend well and roast in an oven, under a grill or over a fire remembering to turn regularly!

          Prepare in a coffee pot using about 1-2 tsp per cup and add soya/milk and sugar (cinammon's nice too) to taste.