Re: [pfaf] 7th Hampshire Potato day Jan 29 & 30 2005 - Forwarded

  • Anna Fraser
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2004
      Great to hear about the Potato Day and I hope very much that the excellent idea of holding such an event will spread and take place in all corners of the country. Wonder if all you potato growers have heard of a book called "The Botany of Desire: A Plants eye view of the world" by Michael Pollan (2001), which I would highly recommend as a really well written book, a quarter of which is dedicated to the history ( etc.) of growing potatoes. Good read for those wintry nights.
      The book explores the idea of co-evolution between plants and their users. Plants have evolved intelligently to make use of other creatures to help to propagate them. Bees and the flowers who attract them are a good example and us humans of course. Do many plants respond to human growers by developing qualities which we particularly like and desire, such as sweet juicy apples, amazing flowers, mind bending bud and as buttery tasting potatoes?
      Michael Pollan, an enthousiastic gardener himself, explores this theme by researching the history of the apple, the tulip, the cannabis plant and the potato. Not only does he explore the issues around GM potatoes, but there are also some interesting insights in potato farming in its native South American mountains and the extraordinary influence the potato had on Ireland. First allowing it to expand its population due to this new staple food which could be grown so relatively easily in the coldish damp climate, then the event of the famine when the blight struck the "lumper", which was alas the only potato variety grown and very susceptible.
      If we ever would have to depend mostly on our own home-produced food in the British Isles in a post-oil era, the potato would probably be called upon to fulfil a key role. Having a large amount of different varieties is a real treasure.

      Anna Fraser