Re: [pfaf] Simphytum tuberosum

  • Liz Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
      in 'Plants for a Future' is says you can make coffee from the roasted roots. Also there's a warning about using too much as prolonged heavy use might cause liver damage. The comment I had from a herbalist on this was that the scientific study was forcing animals (probably rats) to eat large quantities. Of course if you force anything to eat large quantities of any food it will be damaging! Plus humans are different from rats. So the study is not very realistic in my view. As with anything else don't overdo it.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
        For wound i have made tincture from roots and also root flour. You
        just put it on a wound and it creates a dry scurf.
        A year ago i have used it on muscule pains(th workout was too hard)
        but on the next day the pain was even more severe. It could be
        because of more blood was coming into tissue... I don't know,
        really...
        As for edibility i have eaten leaves in batter.
        I have heard about coffe substitute, but have never heard that the
        roots are or poisonous or edible...

        2wolk