Re: [pfaf] Simphytum tuberosum

  • Liz Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
      I could not find much info about tuberosum although it is mentioned in Mrs Grieves 'Modern Herbal'. The roots & leaves of officinalis are used medicinally as poultices, in tinctures & in ointments. It is ver ygood for helping broken bones to knit & helping shallow wounds to heal. its also used for diarrhoea & dysentery, & for whooping cough. the roots are stronger than the leaves. I'm not sure about just eating it because it has so much mucilage in it - it could cause constipation! Also for deep wounds it heals so quickly that it just heals the surface too quickly. So be careful! If you have alot, perhaps you could use it medicinally for yourself or find a herbalist who could make use of it, although many herbalists don't use their own plants these days....
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
        in 'Plants for a Future' is says you can make coffee from the roasted roots. Also there's a warning about using too much as prolonged heavy use might cause liver damage. The comment I had from a herbalist on this was that the scientific study was forcing animals (probably rats) to eat large quantities. Of course if you force anything to eat large quantities of any food it will be damaging! Plus humans are different from rats. So the study is not very realistic in my view. As with anything else don't overdo it.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
          For wound i have made tincture from roots and also root flour. You
          just put it on a wound and it creates a dry scurf.
          A year ago i have used it on muscule pains(th workout was too hard)
          but on the next day the pain was even more severe. It could be
          because of more blood was coming into tissue... I don't know,
          really...
          As for edibility i have eaten leaves in batter.
          I have heard about coffe substitute, but have never heard that the
          roots are or poisonous or edible...

          2wolk