Query re mowers forwarded from Permaculture forum

  • Graham Burnett
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
      [quote="alisoun"]HI, we have 2 acres of formerly grazed land to mow (long
      grass and thistles), to compost it and turn into veg beds next year.No
      machinery except a non-functioning strimmer which I hate, and n o tractor
      access. An y ideas of how to do it by hand or hand-operated machine? We're
      looking for a scythe but maybe there are weird and wonderful old
      machines?[/quote]

      Permaculture magazine had an article about syths a couple of issues back,
      together with addrsses of suppliers (I think they might even be selling them
      themselves via their Earthcare catalogue). Rich Morris of Plants for A
      Future mentioned something a while back on the PFAF discussion list (I
      think) about some kind of eco-friendly mulching mower they'd just purchased
      for the PFAF site...

      I'll forward this to PFAF and see if he can tell us more...

      Graham

      ---
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
        Graham Burnett wrote:
        > [quote="alisoun"]HI, we have 2 acres of formerly grazed land to mow (long
        > grass and thistles), to compost it and turn into veg beds next year.No
        > machinery except a non-functioning strimmer which I hate, and n o tractor
        > access. An y ideas of how to do it by hand or hand-operated machine? We're
        > looking for a scythe but maybe there are weird and wonderful old
        > machines?[/quote]
        >
        > Permaculture magazine had an article about syths a couple of issues back,
        > together with addrsses of suppliers (I think they might even be selling them
        > themselves via their Earthcare catalogue). Rich Morris of Plants for A
        > Future mentioned something a while back on the PFAF discussion list (I
        > think) about some kind of eco-friendly mulching mower they'd just purchased
        > for the PFAF site...
        >
        > I'll forward this to PFAF and see if he can tell us more...

        Here what we printed in our newseltter:

        As already mentioned a Benassi Horizontal Sythe mower was bought for the
        Field. We think this is a lot more friendly to little critters than
        rotary mowers as the horizontal action makes a clean cut and allows the
        creatures to jump free rather than being spun about inside a rotary
        mower. Its also a much better tool for cutting through long undergrowth
        and can easily cut through anything up to waist height, the only time it
        has failed was on a large patch of brambles. On the first day we managed
        to clear all the very overgrown paths on site using the mower at walking
        pace. The only thing to watch is that all the nuts are good and tight,
        trying to find a lost nut in a 20 acre site is not an activity to be
        recommended!

        Rich
        --
        Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
        Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2004
          hi why work, just use no dig techniques, it's damn dificult to get rid of roots, any uses of scotch thistle
          martin

          Graham Burnett <grahamburnett@...> wrote:

[...]

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/bAOolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • king_amdo
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Richard Morris <webmaster@p...> wrote:
            > Graham Burnett wrote:

            > As already mentioned a Benassi Horizontal Sythe mower was bought
            (etc)

            You can hire sythe mowers. (from the hire shop duh!)

            Ther're not cheap...30 quid plus, and quite bulky...but quite fun to
            use.

            Blessed be.