Re: [pfaf] Lathyrus tuberosus

  • KenFern
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004

      Dear Loes

      I've been growing this plant for a number of years - it seems to do well here in Cornwall, SW England but only produces a few black skinned tubers each year. It does not have carrot like roots.  It really is a delicious tasting root (it is my description from the database that you quoted) but is very low yielding. It almost certainly merits further investigation to see if the yields can be improved.

      I've just looked at the plants I have growing here - they flowered well this year but do not seem to have set seed. I have another friend who is growing this plant from tubers I supplied to him - I will check to see if he has any seed and, if so, will see if we can send you some to try.

      Best wishes

      Ken Fern