Winter Solstice, not only in the Coolfruit group

  • gaardenierflandriae
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 22, 2013

      Very important for my native plum seeds and babies.

      The first to germinate where the Prunus fremontii, the Californian Desert Plum. Stratification in fridge started at late august and first seedlings are now a few weeks old. In a few days or weeks, they will notice the lengthening of the daylight and so their early youth starts more than 4 months ahead from the outside planted seeds.

      Our collection is now also enlarged with P. brigantina, from Briançon in France, but still in stratification.

      We have also already one Sierra Plum (P. subcordata) in the open since late spring. Already fruiting last summer: P. dunbarii and P. maritima.

      Is there anybody out there who can help with seeds or small seedlings of?:

      - Desert Peach or P. andersonii (missing and most wanted)

      - Holly-leaved Cherry or Prunus ilicifolia (missing and most wanted)

      - Desert Almond or Prunus fasciculata (missing and most wanted)

      Of course exchanges are also possible with seeds or small seedlings of edible Silverberries - Eleagnus multiflora, and famous Cornell cherries, the biggest and most tastefull known:

      "Schönbrunner Gourmet Dirndl" from Austria:

    • hydrochar
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 23, 2013

        Leo,

        Where are you located?

        Greg in Maine, USA

      • Gaardenier
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 24, 2013

          Hallo Greg,

          I survive in Flanders/belgium in Europe, zone 8b.

          Vriendelijke groeten, Kind Regards,

          Leo

        • Gaardenier
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 24, 2013

            Sorry, I just verified where is Maine.

            Must be cold there?
            Leo

          • hydrochar
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 24, 2013

              :)  Yes, quite cold.  We are in zone 5.  So far this year we have seen -27°C.  This is very cold for us this early in the year.  In fact, it's the coldest it's been here in the last 3 years.

              I visited Belgium last year for the first time for business.  Very beautiful country that you live in!

              What cultivars of cornelian cherry do you grow?  I have been fascinated by this plant for the last few years.

              Merry Christmas,

              Greg

            • Gaardenier
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 25, 2013

                Bad luck, because in Flanders-belgium you could have purchased the real good ones, both origin is Austria I believe:

                In my fruit jungle:

                -      Schönbrunner Gourmet Dirndl

                -      Joliko (Jolico)

                -      Undefined seedlings, which I will destroy to get only cross-pollination from the first two.

                Did you get my PM?

                Kind Regards,

                Leo

              • hydrochar
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 26, 2013

                  Hi Leo,

                  No, I didn't yet get your PM.  Mostly because I do not know where to retrieve it.  .

                  Thank you,

                  Greg

                  hydrochar at yahoo dot com