Lathyrus tuberosus

  • Loes Terlouw
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2004
      Hi, is there anyone who tried Lathyrus tuberosus? It is mentioned in the Alternative Rootcrops-leaflet of PFAF:

      "The TUBEROUS PEA has one of the nicest tubers I have ever eaten, a view shared by many of the people who have eaten it. [...]"

      I tried several accessions of Lathyrus tuberosus this year, but so far the plants do not make tubers, but a kind of white, carrot-like roots with a small woody core in the centre.

      Is it the fleshy root you eat, or do tubers appear in the next year? Does anyone have information? Thank you

      Loes

    • luc abts
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 27, 2004

        I did, but very bad germination of the seeds, so I obtained only a few plants (Perhaps I’ve sown too late, may). I read somewhere that it takes three years before you can harvest tubers of a reasonable size.

        So I just let them just still grow another couple of years and will see. Be patient.

        It was rather difficult for me to find seed of Lathyrus tuberosus (finally I found one trader in England, 1 in France and 1 in Germany who sold the seeds by small quantities).

        Luc ,   Belgium

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004

          Dear Loes

          I've been growing this plant for a number of years - it seems to do well here in Cornwall, SW England but only produces a few black skinned tubers each year. It does not have carrot like roots.  It really is a delicious tasting root (it is my description from the database that you quoted) but is very low yielding. It almost certainly merits further investigation to see if the yields can be improved.

          I've just looked at the plants I have growing here - they flowered well this year but do not seem to have set seed. I have another friend who is growing this plant from tubers I supplied to him - I will check to see if he has any seed and, if so, will see if we can send you some to try.

          Best wishes

          Ken Fern