Re: planting on public land

  • trenthillsmike
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 6, 2013
      Yep, we do the same although not for as long nor as many varieties and we plant on the roadsides of small, gravelled, country roads. We plant for the insects and the animals who have a need now and for people if they have a need in the future.

      So far we have planted wild plum, black currant, autumn olive, gooseberries, senna, honeyberry, hazel, mulberry, lilacs and orange ditch lilies. This fall we will be planting Dolgo crabs grown from seed and Jerusalem and Chinese artichokes. As we propagate more and more woody edibles and other plants, we have more and more to plant out.

      Regards,
      Mike in Hastings, Ontario, Canada

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Gaardenier" <gaardenier@...> wrote:

      > Since about ten years I plant on not purpose used railway ground (rented):
      >

      > - Wild plums (Prunus maritima, emarginata, americana, sibirica, a.s.o.)
      >
      > - American persimmon (Diospyros lotus)
      >
      > - Kiwi berries (Actinidia arguta)
      >
      > - Boxthorn or Goji berries
      >
      > - Sea-buckthorn
      >
      > - Wild apples, Malus sylvestris between cultivated.
      >
      > - Blackberries, Blueberries, Gooseberries, Crandall berries,
      >
      > - Wild apricots, Almonds, Desert peach
      >
      > - Wild seedless Grapes
      >
      > - All aforementioned, between cultivated specimen
      >

      > vriendelijke groeten, Kind Regards,
      >
      > Gaardenier from Mortsel in Flanders

    • trenthillsmike
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 13, 2013
        http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?29835

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Gaardenier" <gaardenier@...> wrote:

        Dear friends,

        One of the last of the Prunus genus missing here, we are looking for is the Desert Peach or Prunus Andersonii. While it is true to seed, I start my search here, to add in my collection-addiction. Trades are possible also.

        Maybe someone has a reliable source for seeds?

        Some info:

        http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Prunus+andersonii

        and

        http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_index
        <http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_index&where-taxon=Prunus+andersonii> &where-taxon=Prunus+andersonii

        and

        http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=PRAN2

        vriendelijke groeten, Kind Regards,

        Leo Aerts, alias Gaardenier from Flanders - belgium