RE: [pfaf] Re: What is it? [2 Attachments]

  • phil corbett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20 10:40 AM
      Hi Sam - it looks like a Conyza, possibly C.sumatrensis as that gets to 2 metres.

      There are other American species of Conyza that it could be, but I dont have any info on them.

      Google has some images:

      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=conyza+sumatrensis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr

      Phil

      http://cooltemperate.co.uk/index.shtml

      Cool Temperate Postal Address:

      Cool Temperate,
      45 Stamford Street,
      Awsworth,
      Notts
      NG16 2QL

      Tel and Fax: 0115 916 2673

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: sam.schaperow@...
      Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:09:12 -0400
      Subject: [pfaf] Re: What is it? [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Sam Schaperow included below]
      It flowered.

      On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Sam Schaperow <sam.schaperow@...> wrote:

      This is stumping me.  I've looked through a couple books and still am not sure.  Anyone know what it is?

      --
      Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
      Clinical Director

      --
      Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
      Clinical Director

      --
      Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
      Clinical Director

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 21 12:35 AM
          Hi Geir  - I agree It looks similar to C.canadensis but its twice the height of any C.canadensis that I've seen. My flora gives C.canadensis as reaching 1 metre, and C.sumatrensis as reaching 2 metres [in the UK]. There may be other Conyza species local to the pictured specimen that also reach 2 metres.

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 21 9:05 AM
            I've read it is used as a potherb w/tender portions, dried and used as a potent spice, is the source for an essential oil used in commercialized sweets, and the dried stem is one of the best fire starting aids.  Can others add more info. about edibility?

            I couldn't get this link to work, but here's what appears from a google search cache:
            "

            /chapter: Some-Exotic-Jamaican-Caribbean-Herbal-Teas ... - Booki

            The dried leaves of this herb are one of the oldest herbs used in cookery. It is believed that the oil of the ..... Dead WeedConyza canadensis. Other vernacular ..."

            Look at this info. from PFAF:

            "Young leaves and seedlings - cooked[105, 177]. Boiled, cooked in rice or dried for later use[183]. A nutritional analysis of the leaves is available[218]. The source of an essential oil that is used commercially for flavouring sweets, condiments and soft drinks[183]. The fresh leaves contain 0.2 - 0.66% essential oil[218].
            Composition
            Figures in grams (g) or miligrams (mg) per 100g of food.
            Leaves (Dry weight)
            • 0 Calories per 100g
            • Water : 0%
            • Protein: 14.9g; Fat: 1.8g; Carbohydrate: 75.1g; Fibre: 26.1g; Ash: 8.2g;
            • Minerals - Calcium: 1010mg; Phosphorus: 280mg; Iron: 0mg; Magnesium: 0mg; Sodium: 0mg; Potassium: 2610mg; Zinc: 0mg;
            • Vitamins - A: 0mg; Thiamine (B1): 0mg; Riboflavin (B2): 0mg; Niacin: 0mg; B6: 0mg; C: 0mg"

            --
            Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
            Clinical Director