RE: [pfaf] Fwd: What is it? [3 Attachments]

  • Yoke-BT
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013

      Dear Sam

      Very difficult to tell until it flowers really...... Looked a bit similar to a Eupatorium cannabinum in 1 picture and then should have pink umbel-like flowers.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2013

        Hallo Sam,

        I guess Helianthus tuberosus or Jeruzalem Artichoke. Maybe a related Helianthus.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

        vriendelijke groeten, Kind Regards,

        Gaardenier, Flanders-belgium

      • Sam Schaperow
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
        It flowered.

        --
        Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
        Clinical Director

        --
        Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
        Clinical Director

        --
        Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
        Clinical Director
        Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2013
          Hi Sam - it looks like a Conyza, possibly C.sumatrensis as that gets to 2 metres.

          There are other American species of Conyza that it could be, but I dont have any info on them.

          Google has some images:

          https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=conyza+sumatrensis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gws_rd=cr

          Phil

          http://cooltemperate.co.uk/index.shtml

          Cool Temperate Postal Address:

          Cool Temperate,
          45 Stamford Street,
          Awsworth,
          Notts
          NG16 2QL

          Tel and Fax: 0115 916 2673

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

            Message 6 of 8 , Jul 21, 2013
              Hi Geir  - I agree It looks similar to C.canadensis but its twice the height of any C.canadensis that I've seen. My flora gives C.canadensis as reaching 1 metre, and C.sumatrensis as reaching 2 metres [in the UK]. There may be other Conyza species local to the pictured specimen that also reach 2 metres.

              To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

              Message 7 of 8 , Jul 21, 2013
                I've read it is used as a potherb w/tender portions, dried and used as a potent spice, is the source for an essential oil used in commercialized sweets, and the dried stem is one of the best fire starting aids.  Can others add more info. about edibility?

                I couldn't get this link to work, but here's what appears from a google search cache:
                "

                /chapter: Some-Exotic-Jamaican-Caribbean-Herbal-Teas ... - Booki

                The dried leaves of this herb are one of the oldest herbs used in cookery. It is believed that the oil of the ..... Dead WeedConyza canadensis. Other vernacular ..."

                Look at this info. from PFAF:

                "Young leaves and seedlings - cooked[105, 177]. Boiled, cooked in rice or dried for later use[183]. A nutritional analysis of the leaves is available[218]. The source of an essential oil that is used commercially for flavouring sweets, condiments and soft drinks[183]. The fresh leaves contain 0.2 - 0.66% essential oil[218].
                Composition
                Figures in grams (g) or miligrams (mg) per 100g of food.
                Leaves (Dry weight)
                • 0 Calories per 100g
                • Water : 0%
                • Protein: 14.9g; Fat: 1.8g; Carbohydrate: 75.1g; Fibre: 26.1g; Ash: 8.2g;
                • Minerals - Calcium: 1010mg; Phosphorus: 280mg; Iron: 0mg; Magnesium: 0mg; Sodium: 0mg; Potassium: 2610mg; Zinc: 0mg;
                • Vitamins - A: 0mg; Thiamine (B1): 0mg; Riboflavin (B2): 0mg; Niacin: 0mg; B6: 0mg; C: 0mg"

                --
                Sam Schaperow, MSMFT, LMFT
                Clinical Director