Propagating Passion Fruit Vines

  • baumgrenze
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2013
      I found the information reproduced below on the pfaf website:

      "http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Passiflora+edulis

      Propagation

      Cuttings of young shoots, 15cm with a heel, in spring. Leaf bud cuttings in spring. Cuttings of fully mature wood in early summer. Takes 3 months. High percentage."

      I would like clarification from someone who can interpret this information:

      1) Did the writer intend me to conclude that late June is 'early summer?'

      2) What did the writer mean by "cuttings of fully mature wood?"

      In my experience, passiflora edulis grows rampantly all spring and summer and began doing so a few months ago. How far down from the soft, green growing tip will I find "fully matured wood?"

      If possible, I'd like to try starting some cuttings now (6/22/13.) I had remarkable success this year with dormant, winter cut fig prunings. I started with 9-12' pieces. I removed about 2" long narrow strips of bark from the plant end of the cuttings, applied a thin layer of commercial honey (it is antiseptic and 'sticky') and then dusted the end with powdered rooting hormone. I set the cuttings in expanded vermiculite (Perlite) and sand that I 'disinfected' with a rinse of 1 tablespoon of commercial sodium hypochlorite bleach (~6%) diluted in one gallon of water and then rinsed with tap water once. The cuttings were protected with a mini-greenhouse created from a 1.25 liter polycarbonate sparkling water bottle from which the base had been removed. I would intend to try this technique with passion fruit cuttings.

      I am located in Palo Alto, CA, in a moderate Mediterranean climate (Latitude:37.43°; Longitude:-122.14°.

      Thank you,

      John