Permaculture Class to be Offered in Tiffin, Ohio Sept 21-28

  • vincekirchner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2013
      A full Permaculture Designer Certificate class sill be offered this Sept 21-28 in Tiffin, Ohio. The details of the class can be found at the link provided or shown below.

      http://greatlakespermaculture.com/blog/2013-class-schedule/

      The course covers sustainable living systems for a wide variety of landscapes and climates. It includes the application of permaculture principles to food production, home design & construction, energy conservation and generation, and explores the social and economic structures that support a culture that cares for the planet and all its inhabitants.

      Standard PDC Eight Day Training:

      Because of time constraints for most folks (a twelve day course stretches out over two weeks), this training runs Saturday through Saturday (one week) and includes required pre-course study materials that must be completed prior to attending classes at the educational site.

      Topics that we will cover include.

      Permaculture principles
      Concepts and themes in design
      The local ecosystem
      Forms of eco-gardening and farming
      Broad scale site design
      The application of specific methods, laws and principles to design
      Pattern understanding
      Climatic factors
      Plants and trees and their energy interactions
      Water, soils, earth-working and earth resources
      Food forests and small animal husbandry
      Zone and sector analysis
      Harvest and natural forests
      Aquaculture
      Planning the homestead
      Structures
      Craftwork and chores
      Equipment, tools and vehicles
      Renewable energy and energy conservation
      Waste management and recycling
      Permaculture strategies for different climates
      Urban and suburban Permaculture
      Small farm and garden management and marketing
      Strategies of an alternative global nation
      Practical work on design

      Who Could Benefit from a Permaculture Design Certificate Course?

      Just about everyone! If you're interested in learning about sustainable design, green architecture, abundant gardening, alternative building, organic agriculture, generating renewable energy, creating authentic relationships and community, learning new skills, or considering a new career or way of living, then you will get much from this course.

      What you can expect during the week of training.

      Start and End Times – And Very Full Days
      The on-site portion of our Tiffin courses typically begin on a Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and ends the following Saturday at noon. Even though students will have already completed up to 20-hours of certification studies through the pre-course work, there are still 52+ hours of training ahead. To fit the balance of the curriculum into only 8 days we start each morning 8:30 and run all the way through 9 p.m. There are long breaks for lunch and dinner, but students need to come prepared for a very full week of learning, designing, and fun.

      Group and Personal Design projects

      For all PDC trainings, students work on various design exercises and projects, individually and in small groups. This is a requirement of certification and important to help anchor the learning experience.

      Personal Design Project Invitation:

      If one of the reasons you as a student might be taking a PDC Course with us is to learn the skills necessary to create a Permaculture design for your own home or property, we invite you to bring information about your site to the training. For example, bring a sketch or map of your property in fairly accurate proportions and/or an aerial view, a plant list of what is on your property now (does not have to be exhaustive – what are the dominant species – place them on the sketch), note the sunny and shady parts of the property and what direction is south, and what your current dreams or visions for the property might be. There will be some time over the 8-days where individual/personal projects can be explored.

      Meals:

      All meals, snacks, coffee, tea and water will be provided as part of the course tuition and will be served beginning with dinner on the first Saturday evening through lunch a week later. Meals will be prepared from mostly local and organic foods when possible. For other dietary needs or preferences, we most often can accommodate but we do need to know well before the course begins and students may be asked to supply some of their own specialty items.

      Accommodations

      Free Camping: As part of the price of tuition, free camping space is provided with toilets and showers nearby in heated spaces. Remember, students will only be sleeping in their tents. The rest of the time will be spent in the classroom or community dining room so elaborate camping set-ups are not required.

      Rooms in Tiffin – $150 for the Week
      Some of our fellow residents in Tiffin are delighted to rent out their guest rooms for this modest fee for the whole week. All are within walking distance or short drive from the classroom. Students can reserve a room when they register for a training.

      If you feel so inclined, additional lodging will be provided by the Sisters of St. Francis (on-site) for a sum of $40 a night.

      What to Pack & Other Details: About 3-4 weeks before a training begins, students receive more information concerning what to expect, arrival details, what to pack, access to maps, etc.

      Certification:
      Students who complete this design course will receive a "Certificate of Completion" from Great Lakes Permaculture which in the permaculture tradition, allows one to use the word "permaculture" in the promotion of their work or business. Graduates may offer workshops, lectures and design services.
      Training Costs: $750 which includes the pre-course materials, all books and handouts, meals, and guest speakers. Reserve your training with a down payment of $200. If making payments would assist you in being able to take a training, then call to discuss any details. All classes must be paid by the start of the course.

      Location – Franciscan Earth Literacy Center (FELC) – http://felctiffin.org

      FELC located at 194 St. Francis Avenue, Tiffin Ohio 44883 has become home to many environmental projects which include a zero energy straw bale house project, organic gardens, wild flower and wetland projects, walking paths, and the FELC training center with it's Permaculture renovations.

      GREAT LAKES PERMACULTURE
      26 Schonhardt Street
      Tiffin, Ohio 44883
      Phone: 419-937-5978
      www.greatlakespermaculture.com
      E-mail: vince@...
    • vincekirchner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 18, 2013
        I have updated the link to provide an early registration discount, senior, and family discount. Early registration will end on June 30.

        http://greatlakespermaculture.com/blog/2013-class-schedule/

        Regards
        Vince