Re: [pfaf] possible help

  • hill8628
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2001
      I was unable to find all the information you wanted.  What I did find was that Polygonums are Knotweeds.

      Polygonum auberetii is silverlace vine/russian vine

      Polygonum capitatum is Japanese knotweed

      Polygonum multiforum is Flowery Knotweed

      Polygonum bistorta is Bistort

      Polygonum aviculare is knotgrass

      Polygonum hydropiper is Common smartweed/mild water pepper

      Polygonum pensylvanicum is Pennsylvania smartweed

      Polygonum persicaria is Lady's thum/Heart's ease

      I don't know if this is of any help but it was all I could find.

      Jackie from NY
      Hill8628@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2001
        I've looked through many search engines and botanical databases and can't
        find that plant listed, except in one obscure study.
        http://www.econbot.org/journal/Vol54_2/ebot-54-2-155.pdf This paper is
        titled, "An Ethnobotanical Study in Central Anatolia (Turkey)." It talks of
        Polygonum cognatum Meissn being used as a green and eaten by people in
        Turkey. It was sun-dried in spring and then stored for winter.

        Jo

        <>

        And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
        Finds tongues in trees, books in running brooks,
        Sermons in stones.
        Shakespeare
      • Joanie MacPhee
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2001
          Well, perhaps, as no one has found an English name, and the only references
          found refer to its being native to Turkey, that it is not native to the
          English speaking countries, and perhaps does not *have* an English name...??

          Though I still have not stumbled upon some of my more extensive books on
          edible plants...when I do I will look in them.

          Is it possible that the genus name of this Polygonum has chenged, as have
          to many, to Persicaria, Fallopia, Fagopyrum, or any other, and that this has
          been a problem with the online search? Or is the Polygonum genus most
          current? Most of my books are old enough to not reflect these changes, but
          I do know that this species is not one of the 40 species of Polygonum
          recognized as growing wild in New England as of 25 years ago. Joanie
          ~~