Re: [pfaf] What is a tree?

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2004
      Sara Watson wrote:
      > Hi, Richard.
      >
      > I'm new to the group and just read your email and agree that perhaps
      > "treeness" is not the best basis for attributes; however, you have a
      > wide array of users, from those who know the correct botanical
      > terminology to some sloppy endusers, like myself, who still rely on
      > some very basic and general characteristics as a means of
      > researching--so I think for me, searching for "tree" in addition to
      > other characteristics like deciduous or environ, is as valuable as say
      > Fabaceae etc. And if the database is to be looked at as a means of
      > educating the public, it seems important to include the lowest common
      > denominator in addition to very specific informatin for the
      > well-informed.
      >
      > Is the database so limited that it wouldn't provide for mutiple
      > attributes? I'll have to check it out.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Sara W. Burgess

      Hi Sara,
      Good to hear from you. Yes I quite agree that we should
      keep "tree" in the the database, for all the reasons you discussed.

      The point of the post was really a bunch of random thoughs about what
      the concept of tree means and some musings over quite how patchy the
      occurences of trees are in plant family tree, a fact that I find rather
      curious.

      No need to worry!

      Rich
      --