Re: Edible Landscaping & FOraging

  • Sam Schaperow
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2013
      Thank you all for the suggestions regarding my rooting problem.

      The names of the plants I received from him (a member of PlantForagers and MushroomTalk) are:
      Berberis darwinii
      Berberis x stenophylla
      Berberis gyalaica

      Aronia melanocarpa
      Ribes aureum var. villosum
      Ribes divaricatum

      All were put into pots of soil in the garage, except these for room-temp. lightly moistened vermiculite in glass jars:
      Ribes aureum var. villosum
      Berberis gyalaica

      Trying to consolidate the info. I've learned in the last week, I have this (and questions are w/in the below):
      • rooting hormone, if a little or somewhat helpful, is helpful
      • it isn't good to disturb something trying to root, so leave where it is (sounds good, but the two in the vermiculite; what do I do?  I do think it to be a good substrate for them to be in to root.  If so, I still need to have a plan as to when to take them out of it and into the ground.)
      • rooting in poor soil/mix/substrate can promote root development as the plant seeks nourishment
      • repotting into a larger pot before going into the ground is best (I've heard, but wonder why.  I mean, the roots would start to unfold and spread out in a new as well as in the ground; why not go from small pot to ground or small to large pot and skip medium size?)
      Tying this into foraging:
      I see gardening and foraging as similar, except a person often will control their gardens more.  Yet, many of the "weeds" are delicious and nutritious edibles.  Edible landscaping gives a sort of "forage your property for perennials that keep giving food each year" feel.  I hope to one day have lots of edibles on my land, even beyond the "weeds" I can find year-round (and I live in CT!).

      I want to say it would be an honor if anyone interested in foraging would also join PlantForagers.  It is of course specific to the foraging end, but certainly can be very helpful even in a garden.  Another thought about gardens is there are wild gardens. These can be parts of land allocated to grow what may grow there, and to weed out toxic plants in favor of edibles.  I personally have a garden that used to be a pool, which is surrounded by a concrete walkway that issurrounded by mulch.  The mulch grows me numerous mushrooms including wine cap and brick cap.

      --
      Sam Schaperow, M.S.
      Clinical Director
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 17, 2013
        We have Berberis aristata here.  Its edible but only in small quantity.  Besides this its roots are used in traditional medicine as well in pharmaceutical industry. You can see its full details in fruitipedia.

        The fruits ripen in June.  If you like I can send you seeds too.

        Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
        www.fruitipedia.com